• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roy Eldridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a guy we seldom talk about, but man could he play. I was amazed when I saw him in a jam session video. He was great. What's his story? Also, has anyone purchased his Mosaic set? I'm seriously thinking about it.
1B
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Little Jazz' was one of the greats, and he did it with false teeth, which makes his accomplishments all the more amazing. Had them from the age of 17. He was the original 'no pressure' player, and he could scream.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you hear that Roy had false teeth since he was 17?

Just curious.

Chris
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run across references to Eldridge's false teeth several times over the years. The Website below includes an article from "The Instrumentalist" that contains this:

"Roy Eldridge attributed his amazing stamina to a minimum of pressure against his teeth; because he had false teeth at the age of 17, Eldridge had no choice but to take some pressure off his lips."

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1989/horn3.html

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I've been a Roy fan since I was a kid. I knew he had dentures, but I had no idea he had them so young.

I saw him play in 1978 in a little jazz club. I got to hang with him and Eddie "Jockjaw" Davis a little. He was just amazing that night. On the first set he could hardly get a sound (he got mostly air!!). I started to worry that this just might turn out to be a lousy evening, but by the second set he was sounding real good, and on the last set (at around 2 in the morning) he was just on fire!!!!

I asked him what horn and mouthpiece he used and he said, "Heres the mouthpiece" (he kept it hanging around his neck in a little pouch, it was an All Cass) THen I asked him about the horn and he said, "I don't know what it is, they just give em' to me, and I play em', but its up on the stand if you want to look for yourself." So I went and checked it out (it was a Leblanc Sonic 700).

Years later I played some gigs with the tenor player Scott Hamilton and he told me that when he worked with Roy at Jimmy Ryans, that Roy always had trouble getting the valves back in his horn the right way after he oiled them.

Chris
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of Roy's raw-edged tone and his swinging playing. He's one of my biggest influences as a player.

Roy was one of the original high-note men, check him out in early recordings of Gene Krupa's outfit. Roy was one of Dizzy's biggest idols, and I love hearing the two together on the JATP sessions (i.e., "Krupa and Rich") and on the "Roy and Diz" records with the Oscar Peterson/Herb Ellis/Ray Brown/Louis Bellson rhythm section (smokin!). On those records, the way they play off of each other is amazing.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The false teeth story is true, I remember reading it in a biography of him titled something like "Little Jazz Giant."
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy musicality as a trumpeter was soooooooo special.
His talent for backing up a singer was in such demand and his recording with Billy Holiday on the song "Comes Love, Nuttin'can be done." His improv and firey trumpet on this, to me....shows his excellence and talent.

I have a most treasured CD of Roy's recorded in NYC in 1975 titled "Happy Time" with Oscar Peterson-Joe Pass, Ray Brown-and Eddie Lock and remastered in 1991 by Fantasy Studios, in Berkley......anyhoooooo
although Roy is noticably waaaaaaay past his peak in trumpet playing, still the album is sooooooooo great as it shows the love and passion that he had for his music and for his colleagues as he goes through many of his previous hits from the peak of his past recordings such as
"Willow Weep for me.....
"I can't get started.....
"Stormy Monday.....
"Let me off Uptown.... (where he mimics and sings both his and 'Anita's part in a falsetto'
His memory will be forever Oh so "Sweet" and TBTG for his treasured recordings for generations to come, who chose to listen.
Tho' small in stature......What a giant of a man!!!!
babyimanARCHIST
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was able to use little pressure because he created compression with the tongue. In Jerome Callet's Trumpet Secrets book it says in a section, 'Listen to some of the great trumpeters who played with the forward tongue: Roy Eldridge (who lost all his teeth at age seventeen),'. Just my two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: