• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

the study of classical repertoire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Question for the TH public in general: do you find that the study of classical repertoire helps your jazz playing?

Thanks,
Spitty
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insofar as it makes you focus on fundamentals and isolates things you may not be able to do, yes. You can also stick some melodies you learn into your improvisations if you phrase them in a jazz style.

It will not, however, help you with your feel or sense of swing, nor will it help you hear jazz changes. And it is a different vocabulary entirely from that of jazz.
TaylorBarnett80
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I spend most of my time as a "jazz" player, I feel that studying classical rep. helps my trumpet playing and that in turn helps my jazz playing. I feel that there is more of a requirement for consistency in articulation and intonation to play classical music well. Many Miles, Freddie, Ornette, Ellington recordings have moments of technical sloppiness that would "destroy" a classical performance but are still great examples of jazz artistry. This is because the paramount in jazz is rhythm and personality. Spending most of my time in the jazz world can get me away from really concentrating on trying to execute music "perfectly". However, I'm not sure if there is as much of a musical correlation as there is a technical one.

Let me also say that I don't consider any style to be more "legitimate" than another. They each require different aspects of musicianship. I feel that the attention to rhythm and time that my experience in jazz helps my classical phrasing (since I push and pull the time on purpose, not because I can't feel a regular pulse).

Taylor
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you practice "plugged in", you will see plenty of benefits in your jazz playing from working on legit material.

For example, play Bach and you'll see the basics of bebop voiceleading -- if you're looking for it.

Frankly, I don't work on advanced legit literature any more, but I keep the Arban's characteristic studies and the Charlier around just to keep my chops together.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question! YES! Orchestral exercepts are my favorite written material to practice! It's good for flexability and tone and such, but it's REALLY good for getting your improvising mind/body (yer head) in new places, get away from the tin-pan-alley licks and really make a statement of originality. Classical excerpts and the Dictionary of Scales book I had as a student are the 2 most important influences I have in making new improvisational statements.
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your very informative and interesting responses so far - much appreciated.

My own expericne has been that since I picked up the trumpet again (about 5 years ago) I have mostly been studying jazz, with Jimmy Owens for part of that time. However I feel that something is lacking in my developement so I have started practicing out of Arbans, St. Jacome, etc . . . and have seen a great improvement in my playing.

Anyway, I think this is an interesting thread and I look forward to other's reponses.

Best Regards,
Spitty
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutly.

Infact I would say as an instrumentalist, you should open yourself up to as much variety as possible. Certainly there is a point where you begin to focus most of your attention on one genre or another.

I have gained technique, musical knowledge, sight reading ability, and stylistic abilities not to mention added repitoire through my study of classical music. Likewise, I would say to the classical performer, branch out into Jazz and learn what it has to offer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-19 12:04, SPITTY wrote:
Hi folks,

Question for the TH public in general: do you find that the study of classical repertoire helps your jazz playing?

Thanks,
Spitty
The study of Jazz helped my "classical" playing.
Jimmy and I have been friends for at least 30 years. We are both born in December and we would,along with Donald Byrd, get together at our birthday time.
We practiced together many times.
Donald wrote some studies on fourths for me and Jimmy showed me some finger and chop busting drills. They are both well schooled players.
I learned a lot about music playing duets with them....the Amsden duets.
Wilmer
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wilmer,

I believe we actually met at the opening night of the trumpet festival at Tonic - I was the guy wearing the suit that you commented on. Was that you?

Jimmy is an amazing teacher and an amazing person as well. I have had so many great lessons with him and will continue - I'd be foolish not to!

Hope to see and hear you again soon,
Best,
Spitty
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-20 09:18, SPITTY wrote:
Hi Wilmer,

I believe we actually met at the opening night of the trumpet festival at Tonic - I was the guy wearing the suit that you commented on. Was that you?

Jimmy is an amazing teacher and an amazing person as well. I have had so many great lessons with him and will continue - I'd be foolish not to!

Hope to see and hear you again soon,
Best,
Spitty

Oh Spit............that was you:-}

Jimmy is amazing. He has a very analytic approach to playing. He has helped my finger technique. His students are fortunate to have a mentor like Jimmy.
Wilmer

[ This Message was edited by: wiseone2 on 2004-08-20 12:59 ]
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the admittedly limited experience of playing jazz I have has helped me when it comes to my classical playing.

I am fairly able to hear what I play, and to know where on the trumpet the notes I am hearing are. That makes transposition much easier (I've just started working on playing through my dad's trombone music - a nice challenge!).

Some of the best jazz players I know can rattle through the Clarke as fast as anyone I've ever heard. That may not be classical repetoire, but it's applying studies intended for the classical cornet to their jazz playing.
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-20 14:41, JackD wrote:
I think the admittedly limited experience of playing jazz I have has helped me when it comes to my classical playing.

I am fairly able to hear what I play, and to know where on the trumpet the notes I am hearing are. That makes transposition much easier (I've just started working on playing through my dad's trombone music - a nice challenge!).

Some of the best jazz players I know can rattle through the Clarke as fast as anyone I've ever heard. That may not be classical repetoire, but it's applying studies intended for the classical cornet to their jazz playing.
You have discovered how to with the addition of four sharps transpose in D trumpet playing a Bb trumpet. Bass clef and four sharps played on the C trumpet=E transposition.
Clear??????????
Wilmer
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilmer - cunning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: