• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adjustable Cup mutes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found myself using cup mutes more often recently for solo playing. I haven't been able to find something that gives me a wide array of colours to work with, though. I have a Wick, but I find that I can't get as velvety a lyrical sound as I would like.

What are some other good adjustable cups? Any thoughts on the TrumCor cup?
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as cups, I actually have a Tom Crown cup mute that I bought back in high school and never thought that I would use. But now, having to use cups for some solo works, I have found that it sound nice. It doesn't work well for a normal cup though and I wouldn't use it in the context of an ensemble.

Kevin
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not adjustable but I'd try a Humes & berg cup mute. It's the old standard red & white one. I tried a few different cup mutes over the years and I found this mute to be the sweetest sounding.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to like the Wick cup because it sounds nice and is adjustable. I highly recommend that you get a set of the foam rings ("Silencers") sold by Tromba (Denver) that can go into the cup or around a straight mute. These will offer many more possibilities for that "velvety" sound you are looking for.

Dave Hickman
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Wick and find the sound to be as smooth as I require with the cup closed right against the bell.
I have been known to fill the cup with cotton wool and that made it even smoother.

Whilst at university the examiner for my final year recitals commented upon my muted sound, complimenting the soft tone - a Wick, closed right up.

As for other adjustable cups, I haven't seen any that I would consider, for a Bb trumpet.
I have a Wick for my Eb (new Eb adjustable cup mute - very impressive) and a Marcus Bonna for the piccolo - this is adjustable, but not quickly, it needs setting up in advance. The MB works superbly when filled with cotton wool - even the piccolo becomes mellow!
sparxII
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

softcase,

Did you notice what kind of cup mutes James Thompson and Jens Lindemann were using on Friday's concert ?
......... they sounded very good.

Ted
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two cup mutes...A Yamaha adjustable and a H & B stonelined cup mute (30+ yrs old)

I use the H & B most often
JohnL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wrap a handkerchief around the inside of a H&B (or any) cup to change the sound.
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-23 17:00, sparxII wrote:
Did you notice what kind of cup mutes James Thompson and Jens Lindemann were using on Friday's concert ?
......... they sounded very good.

Ted,
I did see those mutes, and during the week Jens did talk about them. They're frighteningly expensive, imported, handmade mutes that may or may not be produced anymore. I don't think it's realistic to go looking for one of those (unless my cup mute safari goes on longer than I anticipate, that is). They did sound great, though!
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens said it was made of carbon-fibre and cost him $200(but he said he overpaid!). Jens swears by that cup mute but says he doesn't expect most people to go out and spend that kind of money. Apparently the mutes are made by a physicist/part time trumpet player in France and there's someone here(Montreal? I can't remember) that knows the guy who makes them and won't tell who it is! I guess he wants the market all to himself!
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mutes Jens and Jim played sounded fabulous..although I am sure that has more to do with Jim and Jens than the mutes!
Still, I covet thy neighbors mute!
I never got around to asking who at the symposium was online with TH. It would have been nice to put a face and music to our usernames.
FYI, I am Don from Chicago. If you were at the symposium, I played the Ibert Impromtu for Jens and a Russian vocalise for Jim, plus some orch. excerpts in the smaller classes.

Don
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don! I saw both your masterclass performances, you sounded great! I played the first movement of the Hindemith in the same class as your Ibert, and an excerpt from Prokofiev 6 in the same class as your Vocalise. We went for lunch at Ned's together with Jeff one day. Glad to see that some people can stay in touch through TH, and other things.

Adam
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam,
Of course I remember you well, it was your "softcase" username that I did not recognize! Now I will be able to connect your posts to my memories of Toronto.
Thanks for the compliment on my playing. It was a wonderful week of inspiration and renewal. I hope the stardust stays around for a while.
I could go on and on about the brillance of Jens and Jims playing and teaching, and I must add my gratitude for the tremendous generousity and spirit of our host, Jeff Reynolds. Just an awesome guy.
You did a very fine job on the Hindemith and the Prokofiev, bravo! I likely have your Hindemith on DAT. I have only listened back to my sections, and did not have enough tape for the whole week, but since you were first out of the gate, I think I have it if you want it.
Keep up the enthusiasm and hard work. I am sure we will all hear more from you someday.
If you ever learn were to get those cup mutes, count me in! What a sound.

Don Cagen
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,
I'd love it if you could send me that recording! I really got a lot out of working with Jens on that piece.
Thanks!
Adam
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Wick cup mute too "metallic" sounding. An excellent alternative is the adjustable cup from TrumCor mutes. It is made of a fiber material and runs about $75. It has a very nice sound. Smooth and mellow. Certainly worth a listen!

Scott
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ScottA. I've ordered one of the TrumCor mutes and am looking forward to trying it out.
sparxII
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: cup mutes Reply with quote

Softcase, brad333 & trumpetdon,

I have a 'carbon-fibre' adjustable cup mute on order. The same one we saw at the trumpet symposium ........... I'll keep you posted.

Ted
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?? Wherever did you find it? My interest is piqued.
nashbop63

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: adjustable cup Reply with quote

One good ( and cheap ) solution is the Humes and Berg "mic-a-mute", which is a non adjustable cup with a flocked lining and a soft rubber ring aorund the top of the cup. A great sound either in or out of a microphone, and probably less than $20.00
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good 'ol humes and berg red+white cup for me. When I want a softer, more distant tone, I just roll up a rag or sock and stuff it inside.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: