• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many small group improvisers use Bach strads and why

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many here use Bach and why
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play small group jazz and use a Bach, simply cause when I was looking to upgrade from my King I asked my repair guy/used horn salesguy to look out for a schilke, calicchio or bach, and he came up with a real nice Bach lightweight 43 ML that sounded sweet so I jumped on it. It was actually in terrible shape when I first looked at - lot's of dents, second valve slide was smashed up, etc . . . but Alex worked his magic and next time I laid eyes on it, the horn was like new.

It blends well with alto, tenor, and other trumpet players, and is flexible enough to sound dark and mellow or bright and screaming (as much as I can scream that is). I have become increasingly interested in trying a Calicchio though - been hearing great things about them on this site and other places. But most likely I'll be sticking with my trusty Bach due to lack of $$$ to drop on a new horn.

Cheers,
Spitty
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in my colleges Jazz ensemble and Concert band, I picked a strad because of its versatility, no one will bash you if you show up with a Bach, its about the safest and is a great horn nonetheless

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach Strad Bb and C, with an Akright conversion on my C. I have always liked my Bb because I picked it out of about 6 different Bachs at a shop in Jacksonville. My C since the conversion is awesome, I feel right at home on it.

I am not a Bach loyalist or anything, I just own two of their horns, and they are working great for me. I actually think they are playing even better since the whole Zachary Music drama way back when Alan? Mark.. or whoever it was was trash talking Bachs. -Max

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one will bash you if you have a Bach....true. Being safe is not the reason to own a Bach. (or any other horn for that matter.) You should own a Bach because you want to!

No one will bash you if you can play! (if they do it's because they are envious) If you don't play a Bach...thats OK too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far less small group improvisers feel compelled to use Bachs than players of almost any other style. Don't get me wrong, Bachs are great horns, no doubt about it. But the jazz soloist is usually interested in developing his own voice, his own sound. He wants more room to be expressive too, and often opts for a trumpet that will give him a more specialized sound. If he screams, he wants a horn that facilitates this. If he wants to play warm lush ballads, then he will likely want some entirely different equipement...

Jazz players don't feel compeled to "follow the rules" us much as most musicians. They are free spirits who want to make up their own stuff and do it their own way. Fiery screaming brilliance, or warm honey dripping beauty... The Bach can do these things too, but some horns just do certain things better. Hope this makes sense, Tom in Texas

8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 1 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 7 Selmers, 3 Harellsons and
1 Eclipse

[ This Message was edited by: JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR on 2004-08-26 18:13 ]
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-26 17:45, cjdjazztpt wrote:
No one will bash you if you have a Bach....true. Being safe is not the reason to own a Bach. (or any other horn for that matter.) You should own a Bach because you want to!

No one will bash you if you can play! (if they do it's because they are envious) If you don't play a Bach...thats OK too.

Obvoiusly I wanted it if I have one, I just thought improver wanted a better answer than "because I wanted it" I love bachs and will probably always own a bach

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw Nicholas Payton with Sonic Trance, I believe he was back playing his Strad. Wynton started with a Strad and I believe Roy Hargrove is holding a Strad on his first CD cover. I am sure there are many more... Doc Cheatham and....

[ This Message was edited by: supportlivejazz on 2004-08-26 19:17 ]
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-26 18:11, JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR wrote:
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 1 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 7 Selmers, 3 Harellsons and
1 Eclipse

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR on 2004-08-26 18:13 ]</font>

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but HOLY COW!!!!

That is over $100,000 worth of horns there. do you seriously own all of them, and better yet, do you play all of them?
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started this thread because alot of great players now do play strads and i think its because of the vast amount of different colors in the sound.Dave Douglas,John Swana,Joe Mangarelli, Paulo Fresu,Wynton when he sounded best,Nicholas Payton,Greg Hopkins,Jeremy Pelt,Alex Sipiagin,Ralph Alessi, Freddie and Chet at the end of his carreer
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a list of well known players with every brand. Nowadays Yamaha is pulling the players towards them beacause they make better horns then they used to and maybe they got a good deal to.

You can add to you Bach list, Lew Soloff, Charley Davis, Gary Grant, Jerry Hey (although they play(ed) Calicchio too). They are not jazz soloists though. Ingrid Jensen plays a bach NY too. Randy Brecker played a bach before he went to Yamaha.

And I'm also a big Bach fan but also like every other good horn of any brand. But my Mt.Vernon is still the best and most versatile horn I ever played.
RichN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people really get criticised for what instrument they take along? I've been playing for 20 years, mostly brass band, 10-piece and orchestral, all sorts of instruments some great some woeful, but I've _never_ been criticised for what instrument I've taken along (the quality of my playing is a different matter...). Have I led a sheltered life?

Rich.
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GMacDaddy,

I have over $250,000 in my personal collection and resale inventory. Actually many more trumpets than I could list in my "signature" space. I'm very lucky to be able to live out all my trumpet fantasies, while making a living with it at the same time. I've been doing this a little over twenty years now. About half the trumpets I have listed here are my personal keepers. They are all my toys for at least a while, then eventually most of them start looking like merchandise again, and out they go.

I know I'll make a few more connections, and a few more sales by being here on TH, but my real reason for joining in is just to share some info. I've had the opportunity (and luxury) of being able to spend enough time with so many different kinds of trumpets and flugels, I feel I know more than most about how the various horns really play, so I think I have some valuable knowledge to share with others. It really takes some time to acclimate to each model, and really get to know how each one "wants" to be played. There are so many wonderful horns out there, each with its own unique personality a flavor.

I'm in the Dallas area, the best market on Earth for reselling instruments. I love talking about trumpets, and I'm glad to share any info at all with other trumpeters. I'm glad to be of any help I possibly can... Tom in Texas
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 2 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 9 Harrelsons, and 4 Eclipses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: