• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

What is the story on these mouthpieces. I have been reading up on them, and they seem to be really good pieces, even considering the price. I played with another player last Sunday that had one and he said he has sold all his other mouthpieces since getting his (a 67M), and that all the other players in his church orchestra had purchased one. I'm currently using a Schilke 13C4 and 12B4. Just curious as to what experiances others have had with them.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out their website.

www.grmouthpieces.com

There is some good information and explanation about the ideas behind the design of the mouthpieces.

Mike
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also swithed all my mouthpieces to GR and I could not be more satisfied.
'02 Benge Piccolo Trumpet Blackburn pipe w/Haefner 7H*P
I mainly play British Brass and Classical Music
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using GR pieces exclusively for a couple years or more, have compared them to several other brands, literally scores of mp's, and have not found one that works better (for me). In my mind, they have something special going on.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murhp66,

You might want to try your friend's GR before you take the plunge. For that matter, I would go to a store that sells them, and see if they are actually better than the mouthpiece that you are using. It's only another mouthpiece. You might like it, and then again, you might not. If you buy them directly from GR, there is a no return policy.

Last edited by Irving on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great!

You might use the "Search" function to find tons of discussion. Use the GR site to find their mpc questionaire and submit that to get a specific recommendation. I'd guess a 65M or 65MX or 66M, looking at your current equipment.

Dave

Last edited by _dcstep on Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the "try before you buy" approach. I believe a couple of the mail-order shops have that option. Having said that, I'm also a convert using GR66** and 66*** on my trumpet and a Sparx#4 for cornet.

I went to GR coming off a Warburton set.
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I would love to try one at a store, but there is no stores locally that sell them. We have some good music stores in the area, but the brand choice is sometimes not what we would like. We dont even have a store that handles Getzen, which makes it hard for me to find any parts I may need. I might try one of the online stores that have a trial policy. Again, thanks for the input.
Murph
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
tptscream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a chat with Brian Scriver, who you can contact via the GR website. He knows his stuff and will be able to help you.
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: GR's Reply with quote

I found them to be a bit locked in to one color - maybe the backbores are too small/tight (even the #3).

Also, I think I might like a bigger throat but they claim any alterations will screw it up because then it won't be "compu-balanced."

I think that since they're making a mouthpiece that is so mathematically and scientifically "perfect," each mouthpiece plays "perfectly" one way and leaves a lot to be desired in terms of color flexibility. I would LOVE to hear how professionals who play on these get around these issues, but lately it seems like getting people to respond to worthwhile posts is a bit difficult.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephus, it's always a pleasure to see you participating after all these millennia. I'll have to look for your comments on the Shofar thread elsewhere. (No slight meant, since I assume you took your user name out of respect for the great historian).

Anyway, I get paid to play, but I'm no "pro". Still, I've played many different trumpets and many GR mpcs. Just last night I was switching between my GR66Z** and a GR66MX and the difference was BIG. When I move to the GR66LX the tonal difference is HUGE. I don't understand why anyone would have difficulty experiencing this range.

Mine all have standard backbores (for their sizes). One of the bigger shifting of gears I notice is going from the 66MS to the 66S, where you step from a #2 bb to a tighter #1. The 66LX has a #3 bb and requires a strong player when used on a large horn.

Hope that helps. However, if you've found something that works for you, then no need to worry with GR.

Dave
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DC - hope all is well with you. Quick question - have you ever played a Chase Sanborn GR MP? I tried one at the brass conf last year (I believe the CS 66) and it was killin, real easy to play and a brilliant sound! I just didn't have the bread to pick it up. I have been on my Bach 3B for a while now which is working very nicely for me, but I keep thinking about that MP and I am curious as to your experience with it, if any, and also wondering if I should switch at all.

Anyone who has tried this piece please feel free to chime in.

All the best,
Jason
aka Spitty
NYC, Bach 43* ML Bb, Bach 3B
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spitty. The CS66 is right in my sweet spot and I think it's one of several natural choices for someone coming from a 5B. Seeing that you have a 43*, I'd stick with the larger cup sizes, unless you're really wanting to cut. The CS66M should be nice. Which one did you try? I'd expect the MS to be the smallest cup with that lightweight bell, unless you're looking for a lead piece. Compared to the 5B, I'd say the 66M is the way to go.

Chase gets credit for getting me started with GR. Back three years ago, his web site was way better than GRs, so I made first contact with him. I opted to stay within the non-signature line because I felt that I had more flexibility (I use a number of different horns and play both legit and lead). If your looking for a 5B replacement to solidify your intonation and range, then I'd say get the CS66M and forget about it. It's a great piece and Chase is a wonderful player and person. (I subsequently met him when he came to Dallas earlier in 2004).

Dave
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DC - thanks very much for the advice, I agree with you Chase is a great player and really nice guy as well - I spent some time hanging with him just talking shop.

I tried all of the cup depths in the 66 line but the one that really clicked was the CS 66 MS - I believe the most popular model he sells, and I'm pretty sure this is the one that Chase does most of his playing on. I would be coming from a 3B (not 5B). I think I'll give it a shot, as I am not completely satisfied with the sound of the 3B, it can be a bit mellow for my taste, but can scream if I push it. At the time that tried the CS mp I was back to my 7C (which didn't last long).

Cheers,
Spitty
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, the MS is the way to go. That's an incredibly versatile size which should give you a great compromise between tone and range. It'll be a little brighter than a 3B, but it sounds like that's much of what you seek.

Good luck,

Dave
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the GR mouthpieces he has made for me. He has figured out a way to make the mouthpiece play exactly the way I want it to. I find them very flexivble in all ways. As far as I am concerned, there is no compromise to work around.

Mike
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing a GR mpc will also get you into a beer commercial!! You'll be famous! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a GR 64S about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier, i just mail ordered it without even trying it first as i couldn't get to a dealer. The trombone player in our band commented instantly that it sounded way better. The consistency of articulation throughout the range is the best thing and the sound is consistent in all registers. Very comfortable.
I play for a a living and it's the best mouthpiece for commercial playing i have used, better than any Monette i have tried (dare i say it??).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amazing thing, to me anyway, is they are so even from top to bottom. I started on an e65M, moved up to an e65MX, and went from there to the Haefner 1 HX series. When I went to GR, I stopped fighting to make the sound I knew I wanted. Another remarkable trait is the incredible consistancy. The same models feel exactly the same.
80 years ago, Vincent Bach set new standards. Why shouldn't someone set new standards now? Yeah, they aren't $48 plus tax, but go price a head joint for a flute and what the heck, someone will always buy if off of you anyway.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the e65 series and I'm very happy with them. I have an e65S, e65MS, e65M & e65MX. I usually use only the "S" & "M" on a gig. The MS plays like the S and the MX I find to have a rather bland sound...no edge to it (not a bad sound...just not for me). The GR's are by far the best MP's I've played and have stopped looking for "that perfect mouthpiece".
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: