• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette trumpet mouthpieces to Conventional Flugel piece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhighnotes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Monette trumpet mouthpieces to Conventional Flugel piece Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting back my focus(on the monette prana) after playing on a conventional Flugel Mouthpiece. Any brands of Flugel mouthpieces that are affordable that have a similar concept to the monette pieces? I will eventually get a monette piece but need a solution to get me down the road a bit. Anyone who plays the PRANA's have some suggestions?
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: mrhighnote flugel mthpc Reply with quote

Ask Dave to make you a mpc with the exact same diameter and rim as you're use to (the current conventional wisdom seem to dictate this) with a deep, deep flumpety type cup. Just make sure the shank size is right for your flugel. (He may actually simply make you an outright flugel mpc too.)

To tell you the truth, personally I'd want the cup diameter to be a bit larger for my flugel than my trumpet, just make sure to play both horns regularly. Its playing your flugel exclusively for too long that gets your trp chops screwed up!!

Also, mrhighnotes, if you're a screamer, it may be very hard to play both horns at all, especially if your primary mpc is pretty shallow. If you do manage it, you may have to compromize a bit, and settle for a flugel tone kinda like Maynard's, which never really was a flugel tone at all. But hey, if you can play trumpet like Maynard, who cares about your flugeling anyway?!!

Whatever you do, though, play both consistently... Tom in Texas
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 2 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 9 Harrelsons, and 4 Eclipses
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Flugel Mouthpiece Problem Reply with quote

I myself used to play on the 4 family of Monette's where my B4 and C4 were Prana's. I also had the B4FLG for my Yamaha Flugelhorn. The fact that one was Prana and the other wasn't didn't affect my playing whatsoever. However, I don't play flugel near as much as I do trumpet. Keep in mind that the flugel requires a different style of playing as well as air support. So, mouthpiece selection is only part of the game.

Since you have Prana mouthpieces on your trumpets, and it sounds as though you like them, I would recommend you speak to the guys at Kanstul about haveing them make you a Prana replica for your flugelhorn. You can get the same mouthpiece for more than half the price I believe. I can honestly say though that out of all the Monette mouthpieces I have played, I didn't care much for the flugel Monette mouthpiece.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: mrhighnote flugel mthpc Reply with quote

JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR wrote:

Also, mrhighnotes, if you're a screamer, it may be very hard to play both horns at all, especially if your primary mpc is pretty shallow. If you do manage it, you may have to compromize a bit, and settle for a flugel tone kinda like Maynard's, which never really was a flugel tone at all.

This is a bit off subject, but I'm glad someone finally mentioned Maynard's flugel playing in a TH thread! I'm a great fan of Maynard's, but I heard him play the flugel in two live performances years ago and remember wondering both times "WHY?" What's the point of using an instrument designed and used almost exclusively for its warm, intimate sound just to scream out double C's? Like I said, I love Maynard's music, but his style is much better suited for the trumpet and the Firebird, IMHO. Any one else care to weigh in on this one?
mrhighnotes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Modified my Conventional Pieces Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I went ahead and modified my Flugel piece to have the same throat as my PRANA piece. The tool I used also had a bit of taper which kept the throat from getting longer. Wow what a surprise. I was switching back and forth all night with no loss of focus. While I will eventually end up with a Monette flugel piece this will allow me to play without missing a beat.
Thanks for the replies.
Highnotes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: