• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rite of Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I saw the Baltimore Symphony play the Rite of Spring last night, and I was totally blown out of the water. 6 Trumpets.... Balio on picc, it looked like 3 C's, a D or Eb (?) on the end, and a bass trumpet. They played powerfully, but were also very clean. I was shocked at some of the notes that he was getting out of the picc.... what were they?! I had never heard the entire song before, but I deffinately want to hear it again. Anyone have a suggestion on whose recording of it I should get?

Thanks,
Brian
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard this played by the New York Philharmonic.
It was incredible!!!! Phil Smith playing high trumpet and all the others...
That was the best thing I had ever heard!! The brass playing was phenomenal. I don't know the recording, but I would definately check the NYP recording as well as the Berlin Philharmonic recording, which I have here at home. That one is incredible too.
PB
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked the Rite. I think it's one of the most fun pieces to play in the rep. All 5 trumpet parts have nice solos, as well as the bass trumpet part which is normally played by a trombone player. And there's nothing quite like wailing on that picc part.

Recordings, recordings. There are many many great recordings of this piece. I'll just mention a few favorites. You can't go wrong with the Dutoit/Montreal recording with Jim Thompson leading the way. Also great are Boulez/Cleveland featuring Mike Sachs and Oue/Minnesota featuring Manny Laureano (a disc that also has a great Song of the Nightengale). But probably my favorite is Ozawa/Chicago from 1968. Pure savagery from the glory days of the CSO brass!!!!

John Urness
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Ozawa recording with Chicago.... it's... vicious! It is on a compilation Cd that also has Fireworks and The Firebird with the Boston Symphony under Leinsdorf recorded in 1964.

Brian

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2002-05-12 14:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2002-05-12 14:45 ]
Composing Trumpet

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recording of the Israel Philharmonic which also includes the firebird suite. I enjoy this recording very much. Stravinsky rules

Mike Fortunato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Chicago/Ozawa recording and the Boulez/Cleveland recording. I haven't listened the Chicago one much (I'll have to give it a listen now that it's summer and I've got some free time) but the Boulez recording is great! I really love the sound of Cleveland and that CD really shows them off. Fun piece of music! Hopefully I'll get to play it some day.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: