• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

getting used to flugel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: getting used to flugel? Reply with quote

In my wind symphony, I have some flugel parts, and since we have the means, they gave us flugels for the semester.

So I have this beautiful looking YFH 731 flugel, but I have never really played one before. I have noodled around a little, and played some stuff out of my realbook, but that is about it. Just noodling.

So is there anything I should do to get used to a flugel? I love the osund, but I don't really know what I am doing.

Thanks
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just relax and enjoy it!!

Regards,

Trevor
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got mine, my teacher told me to quit making it sound like a trumpet. Really, it's a mental shift for me. Mine feels somehow darker, smother, and faster than my trumpet. I like playing it, and the congregation loves it when I play offertories on it.

My suggestions begin and end with listening to some great flugelhorn playing/players. There was/is a thread on this just recently, probably still going. Then, put your mind into it. Think mellow, gentle, dark -- or, smoother and lighter than trumpet, on some songs. It's an expressive instrument, so go express yourself! And, forget about high range -- for the most part, stuff over the staff just doesn't sound that great, to me anyway, on flugelhorn. Relax, mellow out, and have some fun!

HTH - Don
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a Denis Wick 2FL mpc in it.....relax and play...how about Misty for starters? Concerto d'Aranjuez for another........Gabriel's Oboe....one of my favourites.....nice melodic numbers which show off the sound of the flugelhorn.
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm In the same boat as him. They handed me a Fugle this week and they want me to do a solo for a performance sometime in the year. I love fooling around with it, it's an awsome instrument, but I guess I have to become more comfortable with it. Can you guys reccomend some fugle songs to listen to? I only have 2 in my library.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy_Mike wrote:
Can you guys reccomend some fugle songs to listen to? I only have 2 in my library.

Listen to Maurice Murphy play trumpet and flugel on this CD "The lighter side of Maurice Murphy" Doyen DOY CD007 http://www.doyen-recordings.co.uk/
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up some Guido Basso - he's THE FLUGEL GUY!! I think Roy Hargrove does a lot of flugel playing on the Havanna whatever....disk. I used to have it around here somewhere but I think my brother made off with it. Suggestions above are good too, play some nice ballads; Misty, My one and Only Love, etc... Bossas are nice on flugel too, Corcovado, Girl from Ipanema, Chega de Saudade, etc... If you're into legit. try the cup muted section from the Arutunian on that Yammie 731. Just relax, it's a flugel. Eat a peach...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: