• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

question about xeno

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: question about xeno Reply with quote

So I'm currently in the market for a new Xeno. I've only been able to play test the YTR8335. But I'm curious as to what the difference is between that and a YTR8335RGS. The problem with finding an RGS around here to play is you can't. They don't stock Xeno's last I heard in Iowa because I have been looking for one. I was only able to play the ytr8335 when I went to Ohio recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken V
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You owe it to yourself to try the various Xenos because they are very different. I owned an 8335G which has the gold brass bell in lacquer. It was a really nice horn and did everything well including blending with a section full of Bachs. The problem was that it was very similar to my Bachs and I wanted something different. I sold it and bought an 8335RG which is the reverse pipe with a shot blast (mat) finish in lacquer. Build quality is once again superb but it is a very different blow than the 8335G. I use it in a jazz quartet and I am still getting used to it because it is different. It has a very quick response, slots amazingly well (maybe too well) and has an easy upper register. What it does not do is blend as easily with other horns so if you like the reverse pipe but want one horn that does it all I would shy away from the shot blast finish. If I were in the market I would hold off until the new Xenos come out so I could try them also. KV
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would it be a wise choice to do the trial thing from WWBW to find the xeno right for me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WWBW is the only place I know of that actually lets you have a "trial" time with horns. I called them a few days ago to get the most "up to date" trial program. The way it works is this... you can pick up to 3 horns... you pay for only one of them in full... and from the time you receive them you have approximately 5 days to decide. Return the other two horns you don't want.. or return all three.. there is a restocking and sterilization fee, but I can't remember how much that is. If you order the Xeno from their website.. you will have to pay $1,596... but if you call and order it over the phone.. it is about $200 cheaper... I'm not sure why this is.. but it is their policy. If you want to try horns from other music stores.. I'm pretty sure they make you pay for it in full.. but they give you several days to decide wether or not you want to keep it. If you don't like it, you can send it back for another one. Good luck with your search!!

www.wwbw.com
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I sound really stupid asking this but oh well. I'm on WWBW's website right now looking at xeno's and under silver plated there is a yellow brass bell and a gold brass bell, does that mean the bell is not silver plated or is it the material it's made of or what? Do these two create very different sounds from each other?
Ken V
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold brass and yellow brass refer to the material used to make the bell. Gold brass tends to create a little darker sound than yellow brass. If you choose silver plate there is no visual difference. IMO the 8335G in lacquer is a much nicer looking horn than silver. Silver will hold up better but I have never seen a better lacquer job than you will find on a Yamaha.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music is a little cheaper I think than wwbw but they won't let you take 3 horns home to try out. They'll make you pay for all of them.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: question about xeno Reply with quote

trumpetsforever4 wrote:
So I'm currently in the market for a new Xeno. I've only been able to play test the YTR8335. But I'm curious as to what the difference is between that and a YTR8335RGS. The problem with finding an RGS around here to play is you can't. They don't stock Xeno's last I heard in Iowa because I have been looking for one. I was only able to play the ytr8335 when I went to Ohio recently.
OK, you did say Iowa? I'm from Cedar Rapids. Here it's Bach, Holton, King, Accent, Getzen, and that maybe it.

I'm not sure about Griggs Music in Davenport however.

There is a place in Indiana that is a big music dealer online called WWBW that has YTR 8335.

Well talk to you soon, Molly
trumpetsforever4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around central Iowa you can't get your hands on a pro yamaha horn. I talked to a band director in northern Iowa who said he couldn't find one in Iowa. I'm looking into buying from WWBW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: