• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AFter a heart attack..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: AFter a heart attack.......... Reply with quote

I found it interesting reading this forum. I have been playing professionally since 1976, and I was a band director 1979-2002. I never knew what it meant to be without my horn, and then it happened. On February 17th of this year I had a massive heart attack, followed by a quadruple bypass. The bypass was blocked after 10-weeks, and I've had 3 surgeries since then.

Five weeks ago I made my return to the bandroom, and on that same day I started in on a daily practice regiment. I was astounded at what I had lost in half a year, and my body ached from playing. Five weeks later it still hurts to play, and I am aware of my heart problems on a daily basis.

I must say that I'd rather pass away with my horn in my hands than live with out it. I must also say that I took playing for granted. Something that was always there, and something I thought no one could ever take away from me.

To all you come back players, I understand what you are going through more than you think, and I thank you for sharing your stories. You have been a great inspiration for me. If you can get back on a horn after many years, I know I can do it post heart attack.

Thanks for your love and support of music and the other arts!!!

Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandman332.

Welcome back to playing and all the best on your recovery.

Take it slow and listen to your doctors, which I am sure you will.

What type of music do you like to play? I see you have a picc.

All the best and welcome to TH
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mic Gillette suffered a heart attack from playing ML bore horns. Since then, he's played huge bore open-blowing horns. You might want to give some large bore horns a try as you don't want to put too much physical stress on yourself.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm........

Interesting thought, but I would assume that a larger bore horn would cause more fatigue, thus causing me to put more stress on the heart, thus........well, you get the idea.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bandman...welcome back after your surgery. Like you, I had a quadruple bypass in November 2001. I started blowing my Bach flugel six weeks later and have never looked back. Walking is the key to success....try walking a couple of miles daily. At 66 years of age I'm still playing lead trumpet in an amateur big band, flugel in one brass band and cornet in another.....the latter is a temporary position to help the band out in an forthcoming contest. Like you I intend playing until my breath runs out or my teeth drop out (still got my originals in the front) Best of luck with your recovery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: