• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Multiple Tonguing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Multiple Tonguing Reply with quote

Hi out there. As a teacher, I was wondering when others begin to introduce multiple tonguing. Obviously, it depends on the student's ability and readiness, but on average, when do you begin it with them? Do you go straight to Arban (permit a bow of reverance) or begin with excercises of your own device?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't say this for fear of someone as naieve as i was (still am?) copying me. I learened to touble tounge on the third movement of the Hummel concerto. I started working from Arbans and stuff after that and when i got a teacher we did lots of Arbans mostly. But i just decided i wanted to sound like wynton and picked up the Hummel. realized i couldnt tounge that fast and decided to learn double tounging:)

I'm actually rather proficent at it, so it didnt do any harm at least.

Stuart
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I tend to find that works for me at least. With an ultimate beginner or if I start with someone who has a good concept of single tonguing I then begin teaching them the K articulation seperately. I just have them do normal single tonguing exercises using that syllable and when that begins getting clean I then put the ocnnection together for them and have them begin working on double/triple tonguing. That's how I do it at least and so far I haven't run into any real issues yet.
Adam Metzler
Bluedoggy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn multiple tonguing and think I get the concept, but the clarity and speed aren't there yet. I find myself 'practicing' while I walk around, whispering 'ta tikata ta ta tikatikata ta' ad infinitum. Will this help train my tongue or merely make me seem kind of idiotic to those I pass? I don't mind looking dumb, as long as it pays off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: