• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Cornet...is there a difference between LA and Fullerton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Olds Cornet...is there a difference between LA and Fullerton Reply with quote

is there a difference, significant or otherwise, between the olds horns made in LA or fullerton?

thanks,
jason
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a side by side comparison in a post awhile back. Check it out at

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19776&highlight=ambassador
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There are a few differences. I've owned about a dozen or so Ambassadors. The LA Ambassadors feature a pinky ring instead of hook, and a different mouthpiece receiver (round instead of the Fullerton hex style). Also, you may find an LA horn with third valve slide stops. But usually these are missing in whole or in part. As for playing qualities, I found that the LA horns were generally warmer in tone production that the Fullerton horns. The Fullerton Ambassadors have a more centered core tone. All the Fullerton horns made before 1970 or so were supervised by Zig Kanstul. After that time, production quality was perhaps a bit spotty. I'd suggest that the best models are pre 1970.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: