• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do Celebrities Get Preferential Treatment From The Law?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Celebrities Get Preferential Treatment From The Law?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 16 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Do Celebrities Get Preferential Treatment From The Law? Reply with quote

After hearing things on the radio.... reading what's in the newspapers.. and watching the news on tv... it suddently dawned on me that Martha Stewart has not yet begun to serve her 5 month prison sentence... I have heard that she is going to "choose" when to start serving her sentence. Now correct me if I'm wrong... but.. would they let just any average American convicted of insider trading "choose" when they start serving their sentence? Do celebrities get preferential treatment when it comes to the law?

PS - If someone knows a lot about this particular case and I am just very mis-informed please tell me.
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't need preferential treatment. They're rich. They can afford the best lawyers. They have instant credibility with juries.

High-priced famous lawyers are better than public-servant prosecutors. They have instant credibility, too.
nyc_lurker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing about your post is that most people busted for what Martha Stewart was probably would never in fact have have been convicted of anything...merely fined. She is not going to jail for inside information; instead she was convicted of trying to cover it up. Had she not been in the limelight it probably would never gotten this far and it would have been resolved with a fine & probation.
babyimanARCHIST
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's really no in between for celebrities regarding their treatment by the law. They either get away clean because people like them or 'trust' them since they know who they are.... or they're hit really hard to serve as an example to the public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: