• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Too Big

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Too Big Reply with quote

How can you tell when your mouthpiece is too big? What are the symptoms?

I've been playing on a Monette B2 for about a month now (previously played a Laskey 70C). I love the sound that get on it and I have gotten a few compliments from folks who have heard me use it. I paced myself getting aclimated to it - long tones, easy slurs, etc. During practice I stuck to the 10 minutes on/ 10 minutes off concept to make sure I got enough rest. I also used my flugelhorn in performance situations to keep from rushing the process.

I broke out the trumpet and B2 last night for a church rehearsal and I sounded great the first time through. The second take was a nightmare. By the middle/end of the song (a VERY slow but short tune) my chops were GONE. I couldn't even play a tune C with ease. I ended up using pressure just to get through it and as a result I think I hurt my chops AND a tooth. Nothing serious - they just feel strange the day after.

Of course now I'm rethinking things. I like the sound on the B2 but that situation REALLY bugs (scares) me and I don't feel confident in continuing to play on it. I've got a B4S that is looking pretty good right now and I've got a master class tomorrow.
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you know what to do!
bugleboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that massaging the lips, and putting a ice bag will reduce the swelling...Im from Upper MArlboro as well, I'm at UNCG currently. Are a you jazz or classical player??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a couple of things. One would be to pick one mouthpiece and stick with it. You seem to hop between equipment fairly often (which, IMO, is one of the downfalls of being an adult player -- you have the funds to experiment). Picking one "middle-of-the-road" mouthpiece during the developmental stages of playing seems to be the best route.

The second thing I would suggest is to start upping the amount of playing you do in your play/rest cycle. If you want to be able to play 10 minutes in church, then you need to be doing 20 or 30 minutes of playing at a time in your practice routine; otherwise, you'll play 10 minutes at church and then get tired, just like at home. In my experience, 10 minutes of rest is too long of a break. That is just enough time for the chops to start getting cold.

Hope this helps.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try the ice tonight. I know I will be taking some time off after the master class Saturday. At least two days... I've never had ill effects from playing too much (or too hard) before.

I picked the trumpet up 4 years ago to play jazz (small group improvisation). At this stage I try not to lose sight of the fact that I need to learn to play the horn FIRST. Hard to do sometimes...
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I would suggest a couple of things. One would be to pick one mouthpiece and stick with it. You seem to hop between equipment fairly often (which, IMO, is one of the downfalls of being an adult player -- you have the funds to experiment).

You hit the nail on the head BIG TIME Matt. I have definitely been guilty of this and I learned from it. I had been on that Laskey 70C for 8 months (maybe more) before looking again. The plan was to do the same thing with the B2 but after this experiment I don't know. I definitely see the benefits in consistancy in equipment but there were things about the 70C that I did not like - thus the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: