• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tuning with harmon mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello:
I play a yamaha YTR 6345G and I use a harmon jo ral copper. My pich goes up a lot when I use the harmon, I need to move the tuning slide a lot.
Is that normal?

thanks
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Chase Sanborn's Brass Tactics books offer some excellent information and advice on tuning with various mutes.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to adjust the pitch by tweaking the cork. Mutes come with an average to thick cork so they'll fit most horns. Flip added extra-thick cork to my JoRal Bubbel, and it plays essentially in tune! For other horns, you might have to file (sand) the cork down to get it in tune. Harmons are about the worst, as they offer the most resistance and have that stem thangy to further mess things up. Sure are fun to play, though! - Don
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-26 17:06, kerouack wrote:
hello:
I play a yamaha YTR 6345G and I use a harmon jo ral copper. My pich goes up a lot when I use the harmon, I need to move the tuning slide a lot.
Is that normal?

thanks

Yes, it is VERY NORMAL for the Harmon to be VERY sharp . . . and the cup and straight to be not quite as sharp.

One of my pet peeves is seeing all the trumpeters who don't AUTOMATICALLY pull their tuning slide when inserting the mute . . . much as they kick out the third valve slide when playing a low C#.

Evidently their band director never told them to do it AND they AREN'T LISTENING to what they are playing with the rest of the group. I see a lot of adults do the same thing . . . NOT pull out their slide when using mutes.

Rare indeed is the horn/mute combination that is in tune! Don't blame your horn . . . pull your tuning slide out about 3/8" to start and test it there with your harmon mute!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: