• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Symphony Orchestra Rosters Project (Phase 2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Symphony Orchestra Rosters Project (Phase 2) Reply with quote

When I started the Symphony Orchestra Rosters project on the Trumpet Herald in March 2004, I discovered what a fantastic tool the Internet is for finding information for just about anything you can imagine. I’ve now discovered (through the process of setting up our “Final Folders” for this project) that much of the work that I did to locate reference sites with player information is either gone, or the reference link must be re-established! This has happened over the short period of only 7 months! Of course, I knew that this was a possibility when I started on this project, but now I realize that this additional project content should really be transferred to the Trumpet Herald so that we don’t lose it again.

For Phase Two of this project, I would be very interested in your help! Player Bio information is available at most of the symphony web sites that I have visited. It would be extremely helpful if we could “divide and conquer” to get this work done quickly. This effort will simply provide these “current and historical” lists with much greater content, and make them an even better on-line resource.

Here is my idea…

For each Principal or Section player currently on these lists that has biographical information on the Internet, I would like to provide a hyperlink in our “Final Folders” to a post here on the Trumpet Herald. This would involve going to the web site, copying the player bio information to an individual post on the Trumpet Herald, and then letting me know when it’s done. I will simply add a link from the player’s name in each individual orchestra folder to this post that you have created, which will provide the player’s bio with a simple click.

To standardize how this information looks, it would be nice to follow some simple guidelines. This is the bio that I copied for Yigal Metzler from the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra:

Quote:

Yigal Meltzer

Yigal Meltzer, Principal Trumpet Player of the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra since the 2001-02 Season, was born in Israel in 1969. He started his trumpet studies with Richard Berlin in Jerusalem and later studied with Robert Frear, former IPO Principal Trumpet Player. In 1991 he joined the IPO and in 1993 was sent to the USA to study with Philip Smith, Principal Trumpet Player of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, and Jim Pandolfi of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Since 1992 Yigal Meltzer has been a member of the "Musica Nova Ensemble", with whom he has appeared as soloists. He has also made solo appearances with the Herzlyia Chamber Orchestra, the Israel Camerata Jerusalem and the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra. He has recorded several recitals for Israeli radio.

Player Bio taken from the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra web site for the 2004-2005 season.

So…If you’re interested in helping, this is what you would need to do:

Review the list of orchestras and players in the Trumpet Sections of Major Symphony Orchestras folder. Open a New Topic in the Orchestral Forum called "Orchestra Name Here Player Bios". Copy the bio information from the orchestra’s web site and paste it into a new post (new post for each player). Add the player’s name at the top of the bio information and click the bold text function. Add a phrase at the bottom of the post stating where you found the information and provide the link. Eventually (long term) the link will probably no longer work, but at least it will point to where you found the original information and may help to get to updated information. Your post should look like the example above. If for some reason bio information isn’t available for a player, try your favorite search engine and see if this player is an instructor at a University. That’s another great source for biographical information. Be creative with your searches and you can probably find what you are looking for!

I’ve done this work for the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra so you can see how this will work. Just click on the links in the list to go to the individual player bios!

There are literally hundreds of player bios out there that need to be taken care of for the current orchestra lists that have been prepared. If you are interested in helping with this project, I would certainly appreciate any time that you could spend building these Trumpet Herald bio folders!

EDIT:

Considering that these folders eventually “disappear” from Page 1 of the Orchestral Forum as new topics are added, I thought it would be helpful to include a cross reference in this folder to get to each of the Player Bio topics. As new Player Bio folders are added to our list I will provide the link in the main “Final Folder” for each player as well as a general link to the folder here as well. This list is current as of November 19, 2004.

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

New York Philharmonic

Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

London Symphony Orchestra

London Philharmonic Orchestra

Berliner Philharmoniker

Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Metropolitan Opera Orchestra

Minnesota Orchestra

Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra

National Arts Centre Orchestra

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:46 pm; edited 7 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Thanks very much for helping with Phase 2 of this project. I have included the bio information that you provided to the partially completed list for the LSO and LPO in the Historical Rosters folder. When these lists are completed and moved to their own final folders the links will already be in place to the bios.

Here’s how they look:
London Philharmonic Orchestra
London Symphony Orchestra

Thanks very much for your help! It’s extremely helpful to have some of this work done by someone else so that I only have to patch in the link!

Take care,
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Derek, I'll try do so some more at some point.

I think the project is going really well!

Jack.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Nice work on the NY Phil bios! I have included the links to your posts in the New York Philharmonic folder.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek - I added Robert Sullivan there, but I'm not sure whether he should go with Cleveland (or maybe even Chicago... )

Cheers,

Jack.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the William Vacchiano bio and the input on the Chicago Symphony players. I really liked the format that you added to bring in pictures where available. I have updated both the NYP and CSO folders with this information. I managed to find bios for John Hagstrom and Craig Morris which I have added to your folder. We're making slow and steady progress!

As far as the bio for Robert Sullivan, I think it will work well to keep bios for section players in each orchestra in which they have performed. In Mr. Sullivan's case, he will have two bios in our current project (one in the NYP folder, and one in the Cleveland folder when it is opened).

Looking forward to more bios as you are able to provide them!
davidelf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Ryan Anthony Permanent Principal Trumpet in Dallas Reply with quote

JAAP VAN ZWEDEN MAKES SECOND MUSICIAN APPOINTMENT AS MUSIC DIRECTOR DESIGNATE

DALLAS - The Dallas Symphony Orchestra announces the appointment of Ryan Anthony as principal trumpet of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, effective September 1, 2008. This is Music Director Designate Jaap van Zweden's second musician appointment since he was named music director, beginning September 2008. Van Zweden appointed Erin Hannigan to principal oboe earlier this month.

The Trumpet Audition Committee yesterday voted to waive auditions and award the principal trumpet title to Ryan Anthony, who has been serving as interim principal trumpet. The committee meeting included van Zweden, who was present by speakerphone from his home in Amsterdam. "Ryan Anthony is a fantastic performer," says van Zweden. "He has proven his abilities and is the clear choice." And Fred Bronstein, president and CEO of the DSO continues, "Ryan is a wonderful player, and a natural leader. The principal trumpet position is at the heart of the orchestra, and as such, this appointment of Ryan is a key ingredient in the artistic profile of the DSO."

Ryan joined the Dallas Symphony Orchestra in 2006 as interim principal trumpet, after making appearances with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra from 2004-2006 as guest principal trumpet. Other orchestras with which Ryan has performed include the New York Philharmonic, Cleveland Orchestra, Israel Philharmonic, Indianapolis Symphony, Memphis Symphony and Mexico City's Orquesta Filarmonica de la U.N.A.M.
Ryan has enjoyed a varied career as a member of Canadian Brass (2000-2004), assistant professor of trumpet at Oberlin College Conservatory of Music (1998-2000) and studio musician (1994-1998). As a recipient of numerous national solo awards, Ryan continues an active schedule as both a Classical and Pops soloist with orchestras around the country and in recitals with organist Gary Beard.
Ryan grew up in San Diego, California, received both his Bachelor and Master of Music degrees from the Cleveland Institute of Music and was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award in 2001. The Dallas Morning News has noted Ryan's contributions, including his ability to shine in important solos and his continued attention to detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: