• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry Players...a question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Curry Players...a question Reply with quote

hey curry players,

i recently gave a 5TF a try, and fell in love with the tone i get with my selmer-paris concept TT. it's such a huge cup, but the tone...ah, the tone!

now i want to try to find a matching piece for lead work, and was thinking about the 5Z until i emailed mark and he suggested the 60S or M. i'm hoping one or more of you might have tried these pieces and can give me a comparison/critique.

specifically, i'd like to know if the rims and cups are close enough that i can comfortably switch back and forth.

thanks for your advice,
jason
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know with the standard series, the Rims are supposed to be the same, just the depth of the cup changes. From what I remember, the 60S or M is the same diameter but as far as the rim, I don't know. However, I do know that the rim for 5TF should be the same for 5M,5Z or even a 5XS...at least that's what Mark proclaims.
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the rim and bite of your 5tf, you should stay on 5 serie, and 5z should be the piece you're looking for. The 60M or S are great piece but they'll feel a little bit smaller with a confortable rim.

Good luck, stef.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bite of a good Thai curry. 5M is about as hot as I can stand!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim profile is the same on all the 5 series, but the undercut changes, becoming progressively shallower with each reduction in cup depth. By the time you get to the Z cups, the undercut is quite shallow, comparable to many of the Bach E cups or Schilke A cups. The shallower undercut also makes the rim feel like it has less bite.

The 600 series do not do this. They have a steeper undercut than the Z cups, and it is the same on the M and S cups. I think this is why Mark suggested you try them, as the undercut angle is much closer to the 5TF than the 5Z would be, and is unlikely to shut down your chops, which the Z might do. To be honest, the undercut on most lead type pieces is simply too shallow for most players, and it causes problems, like thin tone, poor lower register, too much back pressure, reduction in volume etc. This is why Mark offers the 600 series - shallow cup and tight backbore, but the lips are not too constrained. GR S cups also have an undercut that is not very shallow for the same reason.

Bottom line, try all of them - the 5Z, and the 60M and 60S. They are all good mouthpieces, but chances are one of them will work way better than the rest. They all have the same backbore and throat size.

Michael
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry's stuff is great. I love the M cup. Great sound in every register. Good all around piece. I just got a 70M and it is very nice.

I agree about the difference in the standard and the 600. The little extra undercut does help as your chops swell.
Later
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

thanks for your help all. based on mark's and your suggestions, i'm going to try both the 5Z and the 60S. based on previous history, i'm concerned the Z might have too small an undercut...i hated the 14a4a that i played for a while for this reason.

thanks again!
jason
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A4A's do not have much in the way of under cut or bite. You will not go wrong with the Curry.
Later
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 5Z and the 50S and found that the 50S,for me, was a lot more responsive. I didn't like the way the 5Z felt but I do like the 50S. I will probably try the 60S for a little more room but so far the 600 series seems to be a bit more forgiving than the standard.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcamilleri wrote:

To be honest, the undercut on most lead type pieces is simply too shallow for most players, and it causes problems, like thin tone, poor lower register, too much back pressure, reduction in volume etc.

Found this out years ago trying to play small Reeves mouthpieces. Ran into it again with Mark's Z. Scream all you want, but at what cost?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: