• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fat bottom lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am trying to change from my rolled in embouchure because my sound was to small and squeaky in the upper register. I am trying the 2/3 on the upper lip and 1/3 on bottom lip as suggested by Claude Gordon. My only problem is that I have REALLY big lips for a white boy. My bottom lip is especially fat. I would like for both of my lips to be inside of the rim of my mouthpiece, but with 2/3 of the mouthpiece on the upper lip, the rim of the mouthpiece rests on the red of my bottom lip. Is this bad? I would like to know so that I don't enter a bad set up. My main question is, will having the mouthpiece on the red part of my bottom lip affect my range/endurance?? Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenchops55 on 2002-05-31 12:01 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC WROTE>>>

>>>I would like for both of my lips to be inside of the rim of my mouthpiece, but with 2/3 of the mouthpiece on the upper lip, the rim of the mouthpiece rests on the red of my bottom lip. Is this bad?

...YES DEFINITELY BAD....STOP NOW!

>>> My main question is, will having the mouthpiece on the red part of my bottom lip affect my range/endurance??

....YES ABSOLUTELY!!!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO .. keep both lips in the mouthpiece .. even if that means curling in. Find a good teacher to help with your upper register sound.
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to my band director about it, and he made me change to something else. He gave me a set up where I overlap my top lip just barely over my bottom lip. It seems to work great. I have added 4 notes to my range, and my sound is HUGE in the upper register. Is this a bad setup? It allows me to keep both of my lips Inside of the mouthpiece. Will this hinder me?? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: