• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Tongue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTrumpetDude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Double Tongue Reply with quote

Ive been playing trumpet for about 3yrs now and I need to learn to double tongue, How exactly is it done and how long will it take to learn?
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I learned it was by repeating the syllables digga digga digga, etc. over and over again.

For the lower tones, "dagga, dagga, dagga, etc." ... then try all this one your mouthpiece while buzzing.

You will probably need to start by developing the "Ka" syllable.

Try tonguing a scale in 8th notes without the Ta syllable and using only the Ka syllable.

It will take a little time, but it will better and better for you. Be sure to practice with a metronome as well.

Good luck and welcome to the TH!!!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrTrumpetDude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty I'll go try that out, Ty for the welcome
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working through the excersizes in the Arban's is a good way to start. I actually learned on the Hummel cto (3rd mvt) but it wasnt polished till after some work in the arbans. Also just doing it over and over and listening to the sound is the best way to learn it. Just double time some of your favorite pieces when you wanna see how good you REALLY are:)

Stuart
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember to keep blowing. If you stop your air after each articulation it will sound very choppy and machine gun like. Just remember to keep blowing. Also, check out some cornet solo recordings like Gerard Schwarz and really listen to how it sounds and how you want it to sound. Get that mental picture you want!!
Adam Metzler
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the double tongueing exercises in Arban, slow them right down, and play each phrase twice, once with "ta" and once with "ka" - try to get a consistent attack between the different articulations.

That's what my teacher got me to do - I think it's a good exercise.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Double Tongue Reply with quote

MrTrumpetDude wrote:
Ive been playing trumpet for about 3yrs now and I need to learn to double tongue, How exactly is it done and how long will it take to learn?

You can learn in five minutes. Becoming fast and fluid will of course take longer, but not terribly long. Make it a small part (5-10 min) of your daily routine and soon it will be second nature.

Articulate like you speak or sing:
Tu Ku Tu Ku Tu for pointed, "trumpety" or fanfarish licks.

Du Gu Du Gu Du for greater speed, smoother phrasing, and fluidity.

Practice slow at first, making the resulting sounds from the two syllables equal (like the left and right hand of a good snare drummer). The K or G will feel awkward, and probably have to be "overdone" a bit. Experiment.
Don't confuse unfamiliar feel with poor sound.
Don't ignore the vowel part of the syllable (u, oo, oh, ah, ee, whatever); that's where the tone is.
So, four 16ths and a quarter are played:
Tu Ku Tu Ku Tu (or Du Gu Du Gu Du)
NOT: TKTKT (no tone).
The faster the notes go, the longer you should think of them (staccato dots or not) otherwise the audience will hear only funky little noises instead of pitches.
Make up your own patterns on scales, or go to standard trumpet texts (Arban, Williams, St Jacome). Articulate normally slurred finger studies (H. L. Clarke). Check out the Vizzuti books. Be creative.
Peter Bond
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter makes great points,
The only thing I would add is to NOT neglect single tounging. When I really started working on multiple tonguing in college, my teacher had me go through all the Arban triple tonguing section single tongued first. In addition we did alot of the "one minute study". We also did some of the earlier Arban triple tonguing "K" tongued only (but not too much, because too much "K" tonguing can be fatiguing = stiffness). After we did that, then we went on to the triple tonguing. I would also get more comfortable with triple tounging first and then move on to double. Logically, if you can triple tongue well, double tonguing shouldn't be a problem.

HTH
Rich
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Advice, Mr. Bond. Thanks.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Mr. Bond. I would only add to listen to Rafael Mendez. He had a pretty serious speech impediment, and having to learn to overcome this forced him into a very disciplined approach which he credits for his techinque. As a child he practiced double tonguing so much he was nicknamed tu-ku-took.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Great advice from Mr. Bond. I would only add to listen to Rafael Mendez. He had a pretty serious speech impediment, and having to learn to overcome this forced him into a very disciplined approach which he credits for his techinque. As a child he practiced double tonguing so much he was nicknamed tu-ku-took.

By all means listen to Mendez, but not exclusively. Mendez' articulation style (and resulting sound) is amazing, but more pressurized or percussive than is currently fashionable in today's orchestras and with most "legit" soloists.
I'm not making a judgment here, but cautioning young players to be aware of stylistic changes since Mendez' time. Listen to many players' recordings. Take notice of when they were made (30's, 50's, 90's) and where they are from. Also, what was their background: band (cornet), the commercial world, a career orchestra player?
Andre, Menardi, Voisin, and Aubier play differently than Wobisch, Scherbaum, and Freidrich; who in turn sound different than Dokschitzer, Hardenberger, Antonsen, Nakariakov. Then there's L. Smith, Clarke, Simon, Nagel, P. Smith, Stevens, Mase, Burns, Sullivan, Hickman, Eklund, Smithers, Tarr, Schwarz, etc. etc. etc.
Don't limit yourself to trumpet players, either. Listen to great singers and instrumentalists for style and concept.
Try to avoid letting your technique determine how you will sound. Rather, develop your musical taste (through listening and study), and let it inform and guide your technique.
Sermon over. Please be generous when the collection plate passes............
Peter Bond
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great book called "240 Double and Triple Tonguing Excercises" by Victor Salvo that is wonderful!!
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking at this thread and would like to say thanks for all the help, even though it wasnt necessarily directed at me cuz i need to learn to double tongue for a christmas selection our band it playing. Its an arrangement of we wish you a merry christmas where we are playing a sixteenth note run at 152 to the quarter note. ouch not fun for a beginner lol. especially when it is a trumpet and flute feature so we have to play a little softer so "we can play on the same level" as our director said. well actually maybe it wont be that soft, cuz our director's buying some cup mutes. oh well ive rambled on too long. thx again.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAZEONTHEROCK:

Mendez did NOT have any sort of speech impediment. True, his single tongue was slow for some reason, but I have never heard of any sort of speech impediment.

Dave Hickman
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to using Arban's, go to Herbert Clarke's Technical studies and Characterisitic Studies books. Use a K syllable on all of any of the studies; begin with second study, go to the trilling study, then brach out to the others. Alternate tonguing patterns creatively. There are some single and double tongue studies at the beginning of the Characteristic studies. Use both as double tonguing studies.

The major issue with multiple tonguing is not only speed and clenliness, but endurance, as well. Many repeated (slow at first!) excercises (with breaks to avoid stiffness in the chops) will build strength and consistency. You will at times need to begin in the middle of the tonguing pattern, such as on the last 3 sixteenths (ku-tu-ku).

Remember that speed and clenliness come from slow, methodical, consistent practice. Some take to multiple tonguing rather quickly; others take years. Be patient; be consistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:
In addition to using Arban's, go to Herbert Clarke's Technical studies and Characterisitic Studies books. Use a K syllable on all of any of the studies; begin with second study, go to the trilling study, then brach out to the others. Alternate tonguing patterns creatively. There are some single and double tongue studies at the beginning of the Characteristic studies. Use both as double tonguing studies.

The major issue with multiple tonguing is not only speed and clenliness, but endurance, as well. Many repeated (slow at first!) excercises (with breaks to avoid stiffness in the chops) will build strength and consistency. You will at times need to begin in the middle of the tonguing pattern, such as on the last 3 sixteenths (ku-tu-ku).

Remember that speed and clenliness come from slow, methodical, consistent practice. Some take to multiple tonguing rather quickly; others take years. Be patient; be consistent.

I agree with this, but after rereading several of the posts (mine included), I imagine that to a young player, all of our well-meaning advice can make multiple tonguing seem like some Herculean task. To quote George and Ira; "It ain't necessarily so." Try to avoid treating trumpet playing as some "life-or-death-no-margin-for-error" discipline like brain surgery or Formula 1 auto racing; if you do, you're likely to get frustrated. Or depressed. It's about music for heavens sake.
I recommend that when working on new things, students keep their practice somewhat playful and experimental; "What does it sound like when I do this?" "Does that syllable work better?" Keep it light and fun, but musically driven. Practice a new technique (be it articulation, transposition, whatever) a little every day...but don't expect perfection, just progress. And don't obsess on a problem or challenge so much that it become a drag and you resent practicing.
Of course everyone is different; I just want to point out that you don't have to be a commando-type overachiever to enjoy playing and even become good at it (no offense to you actual commando type overachievers).
Peter Bond
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Try to avoid letting your technique determine how you will sound. Rather, develop your musical taste (through listening and study), and let it inform and guide your technique."

Peter, we've never met but thanks so much for saying the above. Small glimmers of light make these pages worthwhile...

Best,
EC
http://shoko.calarts.edu/faculty/ecarroll.html
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecarroll wrote:
"Try to avoid letting your technique determine how you will sound. Rather, develop your musical taste (through listening and study), and let it inform and guide your technique."

Peter, we've never met but thanks so much for saying the above. Small glimmers of light make these pages worthwhile...

Best,
EC
http://shoko.calarts.edu/faculty/ecarroll.html

Thanks for the kind words Ed.
I heard you this summer at Jon Nelson's Festival Of New Trumpet music, but was rushed for time and couldn't stay to say hello or even "Bravo."
Best wishes,
Peter Bond
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: