• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

cso mahler 5 dvd

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

I just had to comment on a great dvd I bought yesterday. Its the chicago symphony playing Mahler 5 when they were on tour in germany (in 1997/1998) and its a live recording with Barenboim (spelling?). It focuses mainly on the conductor, but other than him, the man with most time on camera is Bud Herseth. Fantastic. I think its Jay Friedman on trombone and Dale clevinger on horn. Its absolutely fantastic and the close up of bud playing the opening is phenominal! My only gripe is that since its a live recording, there are mistakes (which let you know that these musicians are human!) but I suppose that aint a bad thing. The orchestra dont seem to respond to Barenboim very well on the platform, and are on the verge of coming apart at some points, but whether they were having an off day, difficult hall, conductor doing some funny arm flailing, I dunno. I still think its a great recording and the brass section especially are fantastic. Its one thing hearing Bud play on a recording, but much more being able to see him doing it! (Damn you guys who are lucky enough to have seen him live!!!!!).

As far as the interpretation of the piece goes, its pretty middle of the road, with some really beautiful stuff in the inner movts...but the last movt doesnt seem fast enough....then again, I love the Solti recording so much it could just be me!

Anyway, thats enough for now, but this was just to let people know about this dvd, and for those who were thinking about it, BUY IT NOW!

Best wishes,

Brian

Ps, anyone know who was playing 2nd trumpet before John Hagstrom?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it George Vosburgh, or did somebody come after him and before John? Song and Wind lists George coming in for the 78-79 season and playing 2nd through 1988, but the list ends there...

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-06-06 02:46 ]
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey don.

I've tried looking on the cso website at all their past members. It lists Will Scarlet (excuse the spelling) as being 2nd tpt up till 1997, which makes sense as on the DVD, John Hagstrom is on 4th, which he was playing before he won the 2nd chair.

I cant stop watching it. Unbelievable!

Brian
Everhigher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Brian!

Without digging out my CSO programs for the '97-'98 season, my guess is that the "missing trumpet" from the Mahler is Mark Ridenour (or, possibly, Timothy Kent -- but probably Mark).

I sat across the aisle from Maestro Herseth tonight at the CSO's performance of "The Dream of Gerontius." Interesting, and telling, that without playing, he'd still make the trip to Orchestra Hall to hear this concert. I've seen very few CSO players who would do this. If you think it's fun to watch him play, you ought to watch him LISTEN! Great man!

Regards,
Al Pickard
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff!

It must be amazing to still have that sort of passion and love of music at his age!

Brian
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, you are right on about that DVD. The "Bud Cam" is really awesome! They sound great.

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the trumpet section on the dvd?
I know Bud is playing 1st, but I don't know who are those other guys.
I love that dvd!
PB
richwharton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the section on the DVD is:

Bud
Vosburgh
Will Scarlett
Tim Kent
BullJive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the DVD a few days ago... I can't wait to get it. What other orchestral DVD's do you guys recommend? It doesn't have to be the CSO either (although they're my favorite). In fact, I would really like to see Philip Smith. I've only seen him once live, and the NY Phil had very "non-trumpet" tunes on the program. Thanks!

Kent

[ This Message was edited by: BullJive on 2004-01-10 00:12 ]
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the DVD, but I'm sure it was NOT Vosburgh playing 2d. He left before the '93 season began in the fall. After he left, Matt Comerford played second for a couple of seasons until Ridenour won the Third/Asst. Principal job and started in the fall of '94. Then Scarlett moved over to 2d (he also missed a couple of seasons due to a head/neck injury from falling backwards off of the risers at Orchestra Hall -- he hit his head on the back wall). I'm not sure when Tim Kent left but it was somewhere around '96 or '97. Matt Comerford continued to be the first-call sub until Hagstrom won the fourth job.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my favorite non-CSO orchestra DVDs are as follows:

Boulez conducting the London Symphony in Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Maurice Murphy rocks!!!

Salonen rehearsing the LA Phil in Debussy's La Mer. This DVD is a strange concept, without a complete run through or concert, but there are lots of great shots of Mr. Stevens and the rest of the brass section.

JU
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section on the DVD is:

1. Herseth
2. Scarlett
3. Ridenour
4. Hagstrom

It is awfully enlightening to watch Herseth and the band play Mahler 5. Great DVD.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Band???
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Band" happens to be one of Bud's favorite terms for describing the CSO -- e.g., "The band sounds great," "Everyone in the band is tired," etc. etc.
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also available is a great DVD of the Berliner Philharmoniker performing Mahler 5. Conducting is Simon Rattle and Bob Platt is playing principal trumpet. Some reviews I've read rate it above the CSO performance.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Bud gets free tickets to all the CSO concerts - he certainly deserves it!

Andrew Tomlinson
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny Boy, I don't believe Bob Platt has ever held the principal chair with the BPO. It's more likely to be Martin Kretzer or Tamas Valenczei. (The BPO can afford to have two principal trumpets to share the workload.)

I have an idea from the back of my head somewhere that it was Tamas Valenczei on the recording.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-01-16 06:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-01-16 07:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2004-01-16 08:49 ]
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Berlin recording does indeed feature Mr. Valenczei.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you guys, I couldn't wait any longer and ordered the DVD of the CSO Mahler 5 with Barenboim and I've just given it my first run through. Herseth is magnificent as ever and I'm delighted with it and love the bit at the end when Bud puts the single rose in his trumpet bell! That's worth the cost of the DVD alone.

Thanks for the plug, now I guess it's going to be the Pittsburgh SO at the Vatican, or maybe the Vienna PO in Bruckner 8 or........decisions, decisions.

Andrew Tomlinson
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend picking up the DVD of Berlin/Karajan performing Alpine Symphony. Personally I think they should just release every damn concert on DVD. Not difficult to make, extra revenue...I'd buy and buy and buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: