• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

fastest oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: fastest oil Reply with quote

what is the fastest oil available? im not thinking about how long it last just speed. what works well with vintage one's? and what are good slide grease and valve oil combinations? thanks
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, the Pro Oil Red claims to be the second fastest, with the Pro Oil Hybrid taking top honors.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends...

If you are going to use it on a slip & slide, canola works the best.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaja
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important property a valve oil can have is not ONLY speed. MusiChem has a great comparitive article here: http://www.musichem.com/articles/p_oil_e.htm
I know that most of the language might not be geared toward the non-chemilcally versed, and I wish there were a website that explained all of that info better. However, you'll find (after reading the article) that even though you say you are looking for fast oil, you may not get what you need. that being said, I think that Pro Oil Hybrid A147 is a fantastic oil with great "feel" and perfect coverage. Check it out, and hope you find what you need!
-efwd
BandXMaestro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite oil of all time was Pro-Oil Blue. Worked great in my Strad. But as all things seem to change, MusiChem discontinued it when they developed the new "Hybrid". I have been meaning to try it on my CG, but I havent because I still have so much Al Cass left. (I was given two cases buy a local music store and still have a few bottles)
dominicano224
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i am looking for fast valves. i don't expect to wait more then 2 weeks without oiling them. what does everybody think of the pro oil hybrid?
Kateeba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Pro Oil Hybrid, Blue Juice, Lawler's oil, Al Cass, and Hetman's #1 light (with my Lawler TL6-1). To me, the best was Hetman's #1 light, but without a doubt, the fastest was the Blue Juice. The difference was noticible to me.

In checking on the musichem site, I also notice that Blue Juice is the thinnest out of most of those oils (they don't list Lawlers or Hetmans), so that would make sense. You will just have to apply it more often.

Hope that helps.

Lou
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kateeba wrote:
To me, the best was Hetman's #1 light, but without a doubt, the fastest was the Blue Juice.

Lou,
I'm wondering about this. What is it about Hetman's oil that makes it the best although apparently not as fast as BJ? Just wondering since to me the best has usually meant the oil that ultimately makes the valves optimally faster.

Larry
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on the horn that you are using the oil on. I hear on this forum about how people use Blue Juice and say it was the best oil they have ever used. Well for me it doesn't work very well. When I had my 2 Taylor trumpets it didn't work for me then either. However it worked on my Bach Strad before that. That was a LONG time ago.

Anyway I use Al Cass on my Calicchio. I am however thinking about trying that Bell's Super lube. I heard that it's really good stuff. I'll let you know when I try it.

I also tried the H2Oil from Bob Reeves and that stuff works great too. It's a lil too pricey for my taste though. $6.00 + S&H is a bit much for valve oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kateeba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry

The Blue Juice was noticibly faster than any oil I used. Noticibly, but not dramatically. As you know, the Getzen valves are great with any oil.

The reason I like the Hetmans the best is that I was having a problem with the 3rd valve on my Lawler coming up sluggish every so often. It was a few times most days, but also mostly when I had to hold down the valve for a long time like on long tones. It even came up sluggish on a recording date and it wasn't even held down long that time. It drove me crazy! Roy was going to take a look at it when I sent my horn back to him for re-lacqering. Also, and I think I emailed you on this one. I was noticing that when I was playing very softly and trilling, I could hear an unusually loud gurgle or squishing sound coming from the valves that I didn't notice in other horns. To make a long story short, the Hetmans solved both problems. Since I have been using the Hetmans, my 3rd valve has not come up sluggish or stuck at all. Not even once! That is a big deal for me. Also, I no longer hear that water gurgle sound when I play soft. I also don't need to oil as much as before. I can go a few days to a week without oiling and the valves work the same.

But I recently read something here on the TH that made sense. "Don't wait for your valves to get sluggish or "need" oiling, because if you do, that need means they are wearing". It meant that oil was needed where oil should be to lubricate and protect the valves from wear. So I now Oil every few days just to be safe. Oil is cheap.

So for me, the Hetmans worked the best, even though the Blue Juice was slightly faster. If the Blue Juice stopped the sluggish or gurgling probems, I would have stuck with it. Oh, the Blue Juice has a slight odor to it to and the Hetmans is odorless. That played in there too.

You asked .........

Lou
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, guess I had better give this Hetman stuff a tryout soon. I might still go back to BJ but I'm always lookintg for improvements.

Larry
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, can all of you out finger your valves? By that I mean can you finger faster than your valves can respond?

I did change from Al Cass to Zaja Blue after getting my horns back from Brass Bow for PVA's. I don't think they were any faster but they seemed a little smoother and did not require oiling as often.

I guess I am lucky that one oil works equally well on all the horns I currently play. I have not tried the synthetics but have really had no need to.

Wishing everyone fast valves,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Slidebone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fastest oil Reply with quote

dominicano224 wrote:
what is the fastest oil available? im not thinking about how long it last just speed. what works well with vintage one's? and what are good slide grease and valve oil combinations? thanks

There are so many oils to choose from.

Here in NYC players use either Al Cass, Zaja Blue, Nelson Starr, or Blue Juice.

Its all a personal preference and some oils work better.

Hetman Lubes and Oils are surely worth checking out !!!

For your next oil change stop by SlideBone.com
JSTpt1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using blue juice for a while until I started to notice a blue residue building up inside the horn. Not cool. Oh, also when I was in a bind once I borrowed someones al cass on a horn that had only used blue juice for months... It turned into some sort of glue-like substance that left my valves almost completely in-opperable...stuff to think about.

Monette B1-1, B1-5L, C1-1 mpc
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest: Blue Juice. I hated everything else about it (smell, longevity, etc.) but it was fast.

Second: Cass or Zaja (original; haven't tried the newer) These are just barely slower than Blue Juice, but a lot (LOT!) easier for me to live with. YMMV.

Second -: Binak Pro (can be as fast as Cass/Zaja, but a little more persnickity. Longest latest, least smell, safest by far, and keep smy horns cleanest -- my standard oil now, after a year-long trial)

I've not tried all that many oils. Conn, Bach, 5-Star, a few others but not a lot like Hetmans, Alison, etc. Found what works for me and stopped looking! Now, if I could only keep that attitude with mouthpieces...

FWIWFM - Don
modularwill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: A different outlook-Zaja Blue Reply with quote

I'm a trumpet repairer/customizer based in UK and have always used Alcass (Apparently, 99% Odourless Kerosine...why not make your own?) in the workshop as it is not too thin (and a little forgiving in over-dry and worked-on horns) and doesn't smell. The smell is particularly important when oiling piccs as the valves are so close to your mouth. A breath of neat Holton for instance is not nice.....as for the Zaja choc. flavour.... I recently bought some Zaja blue at ITG and found its performance to be very impressive with its addition of granulated teflon (I think) I am now producing a similar oil over here. Among the advantages are 1, It is not the fastest but fast enough. 2, Valves stick less 3, There is still dry lubricant left on the valve even when it has evaporated so lesser used instruments are less proned to ceasing up. 4, Doesn't seem to slip though worn valves so easily. It is a shame Zaja is not easy to get hold of over here hence my own variation...
Yamie Long Model Bb/A picc
Yamie tuning bell D/Eb with Schilke leadpipe & Xeno C bell
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was this one little bottle of oil that once travelled on the Concorde..... man, was it ever fast!
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A different outlook-Zaja Blue Reply with quote

modularwill wrote:

as for the Zaja choc. flavour.....

Will - as I had pointed out to me many times in Denver - it is a scent, not a flavour - you are not supposed to drink it.

On the subject of the oil that Will is now producing - it is excellent. I have changed over to it and it is the best I have yet played.

A disclaimer - despite the fact that Will and I are good friends, if the oil was useless I would not be using it, nor would I recommend it to anybody else.
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaja watermelon ;D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: