• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So I played on a Strad today...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty_seshul
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: So I played on a Strad today... Reply with quote

I played my friend's new strad today when jazz band had to play for open house for my school. Meh, it was alright. It was a bit heavier than mine, it was about normal weight but mine's just really light and I'm more used to that.
I liked how it felt playing it, but I didn't really like my sound that much. It was really hard to get a nice round sound out of it, it sounded like it had a real edge to it. It didn't sound bright, just really edgy, and I was using a deeper mouthpiece too.
Not a bad horn, just didn't work the greatest for me, I'd take my kanstul over it any day.

What do you guys think about them?

btw, I believe it was a 37
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
King student model
7, 5, mega5, 3, mega 3, C
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So I played on a Strad today... Reply with quote

marty_seshul wrote:

Not a bad horn, just didn't work the greatest for me, I'd take my kanstul over it any day.

What do you guys think about them?

btw, I believe it was a 37

I think the Bach Strad ML180/37 is stuffy, sounds dull, and is not flexible. That's why I got rid of mine years ago and have been using a Wild Thing with no regrets whatsoever.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked ANY Bach 37 (or 37 clone) I've ever played. I think there may just be a flaw in that bells design, maybe something that makes it more difficult to build a "good Bach" based on a 37 bell. I play a Bach 72, and I love it. Every Bach 72 I've ever played has always been a solid horn. The usual Bach inconsistencies, but never have they been on the bad side, or even on the indifferent side. Always really nice horns. Anyone have any insight into why that may be?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the comments coming. It keeps the Strad prices reasonable.

Mike
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgwbold wrote:

Mike

Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgwbold wrote:

Mike

Now if we could just get a few negative reports on Olds horns...
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
I've never liked ANY Bach 37 (or 37 clone) I've ever played. I think there may just be a flaw in that bells design, maybe something that makes it more difficult to build a "good Bach" based on a 37 bell. I play a Bach 72, and I love it. Every Bach 72 I've ever played has always been a solid horn. The usual Bach inconsistencies, but never have they been on the bad side, or even on the indifferent side. Always really nice horns. Anyone have any insight into why that may be?

No insights as to why that might be, but my experience with Strads mirrors yours. My first pro horn was a MT Vernon Strad 37 lightweight. I later bought my teacher's New York Strad 37, and I later owned an Elkhart Strad 37 and Strad 43. None of them came close to any Strad 72 I have played. The Elkhart Strad 72* lightweight was one of the best (if not the best) responding and playing horns I've ever owned.

FWIW, I have owned 40 trumpets since my comeback three years ago, for the first 20 years of my playing career I owned two horns.

Yeah, sick, isn't it?
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rich G"][

FWIW, I have owned 40 trumpets since my comeback three years ago, for the first 20 years of my playing career I owned two horns.

quote]

Rich, you must not be married!
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prices of strads are barely reasonable for what they are: mass produced pieces of metal put together as fast as possible.

$1500 for that? There are far better trumpets for that money and less, especially if you're looking at used horns.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rebelatheart"]
Rich G wrote:
[

quote]

Rich, you must not be married!

Yes, I'm married. And my wife was thrilled when I started playing again. Buying trumpets off the Herald or eBay was a lot cheaper than the hobby I gave up to do the trumpet thing. No more $6000 Merlin VSM speakers, or $5000 Krell or Rowland amps, or $3000 Cary single ended tube 12 watt amps, or $2000 phono cartridges, or... Geez, trumpets are dirt cheap in comparison. And, if you think people are opinionated or occasionally nasty regarding trumpet choices, link on to an audio forum to see how far people can go when they get their ego's wrapped up in their audio gear.
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all bachs sound the same. it's ok if youre trying to blend in a section, but not really ideal for a Bb; most of the repertoire a Bb is used for likes a more individual tone.
I've played on bachs several times.......... sound like every other person i don't want to sound like. ho hum
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack:

Do you by any chance remember what model Bachs you played? I felt the same way until I tried the 72 I bought and love. It seems like I can just put any old mpc on top of it, from my old highschool 3C to a GP 1C to a Monette B3, and get whatever sound I want out of it. In the spirit of learning, can you tell us a little about your horn and what led you to it?
TrumpetSquire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmm....Krell Audio. Someday....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: