• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 300 Eb/D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Getzen 300 Eb/D Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3761306785&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm sure these play really nicely for the money, and this one is at a good starting price also. Brett, would you like to share some thoughts? I've only had experience with a couple short bell Eb/D trumpets:

Bach 304 Eb/D with extra slide: Hands down the worst hunk of junk I have ever held to my lips. I still cringe when I think about it. Terrible sound, horrid intonation (I had to double check the slide that was in there to be sure). It sounded like a horn you would hear at the circus - like a toy even. Needless to say, I had more expectations for it.

Yamaha 6610 Eb/D : This one played a LOT better for me with a nice bright brilliant sound but still had some intonation issues. I was looking for a bigger sound and slightly better intonation, otherwise, I might have kept it.

I've never tried the Getzen though. It looks like a good value though. Any thoughts?
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen 300 Eb/D Reply with quote

jophst wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3761306785&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm sure these play really nicely for the money, and this one is at a good starting price also. Brett, would you like to share some thoughts? I've only had experience with a couple short bell Eb/D trumpets:

Bach 304 Eb/D with extra slide: Hands down the worst hunk of junk I have ever held to my lips. I still cringe when I think about it. Terrible sound, horrid intonation (I had to double check the slide that was in there to be sure). It sounded like a horn you would hear at the circus - like a toy even. Needless to say, I had more expectations for it.

Yamaha 6610 Eb/D : This one played a LOT better for me with a nice bright brilliant sound but still had some intonation issues. I was looking for a bigger sound and slightly better intonation, otherwise, I might have kept it.

I've never tried the Getzen though. It looks like a good value though. Any thoughts?

They kind of look like the size between normal Bb and pocket trumpets.
But $1000 for buy it now? I don't think it's worth it even though it's silver plated because it IS the 300 series. But it sure would be nice to try it.

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the 2004 Getzen catalog and price list, and there are no D/Eb's in it. Today a 300 series is their entry level instrument, and an entry level D/Eb would be unusual. Couple that with the fact that Brett has reported counterfeit Getzens from the 3rd world on Ebay and I'd be wary of bidding until Brett confirmed that it really was one of his.

Cheers,

Tom
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me too, and check this out.

If you look at the bell on the back, there is this uneven part. It is most likely to be a 2 piece bell, but I might suspect that the bell of the real Getzen 300 was cut off, then later put onto some kind of trumpet. Just my HO.

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! We are all looking for scams so hard that we might miss a great deal when it comes along. This happens to be my horn. I am the second owner of this horn, but I've had it for quite a while. I used it on many jobs back when I was doing a lot of orchestral work, and also when I was playing in the pits for operas. I have no need for this horn any more and it's too nice to sit in a closet.

Come on Brett -- I need you to come to my defense on this one! It's the real deal!

By the way -- I realize that the buy it now price was kind of high, but the $350 starting price is more than fair for this horn. I'd love to hear Brett's opinion as to what this horn is worth. If he says lower then I'll lower the starting price to be fair.

By the way, I do believe that Getzen still makes a D/Eb but has it in the Eterna line.

I didn't mention this horn myself because the market place is where ads belong. My apologies to TH for this post, but I thought it was important to mention that this is a legit horn.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie

Last edited by bandman322 on Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played one awhile ago. It was a nice horn, but cute sounding. It was small and chamber like. Great for Haydn and Hummel...but I wouldn't have even told my orchestra section i owned it, much less pulled it out. It depends on what youre going for. For stuff like the Eb concerti, church, brass quintet, itd be a great little horn. For Tchaik 4, not so much.

Stuart
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - I also tried one of these some time ago and would second that these are not "big" horns. Tone was definitly on the brighter side but would work well for lighter Baroque and Classical pieces or as a chamber horn. As I recall, the horn was quite solid but the intonation was just OK - not unmanagable though. I used it on the D side against a picc and it blended quite nicely.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one ..
It's a Lighter Horn .. Great for playing the Second part in Handel's Messiah against some one playing a Picc in A on the 1st part.. It blends well with a Picc.

It is a smaller bore much like the Bach D180. Also a great little horn for Descants. Mine is much better in Tune on the D side than the Eb..

Kevin
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is much better on the D side than the Eb side, but is that because we play more on the D side than the Eb side? I also have a Schilke Pic and I play it much better on the Bb side, but most of my friends prefer it in A. I think that with multi-key instruments that we play the side we use more better than the other side, not always because it is better, but because we have just become accustomed to the tendencies of that side of the horn. I have been working alot during the last 3 months on the A side of my Schilke. Thanks to this extra practice I find that I play it well now on both sides of the horn. Just an observation from my own experiences.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: