• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What makes a trumpet worth a lot!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: What makes a trumpet worth a lot!? Reply with quote

Okay, these days, I find many trumpets that are way too overpriced, IMHO. Why do you guys think that the trumpets have so much different value when you first see it, it looks the same? And what also makes it sound great? Is it changable if variables are changed around? Is it the materials? Is it the work put in to it? Is it the looks? Please tell me your opinion on it. Thx for all the ideas in advance

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The price that it fetches on ebay
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chief wrote:
Quote:

Seriously, I'm really curious why there is so much cost differences between beginner horns and pro horns/artist horns. Although I had played a beginner horn and own a pro horn, all i feel different about them is the look, the finishing, and the tone. Are tones worth that much?

Horns:
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing that makes any commodity with different levels of production units have a range in price. Rarity, workmanship, quality of materials, extra effort to make sure every step of production is correctly executed, etc.

Ferraris cost more than Fords, caviar costs more than chicken, and Monettes cost more than Bachs.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland

Tl2uMp3t_Er wrote:
the chief wrote:
Quote:

Seriously, I'm really curious why there is so much cost differences between beginner horns and pro horns/artist horns. Although I had played a beginner horn and own a pro horn, all i feel different about them is the look, the finishing, and the tone. Are tones worth that much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ferraris cost more than Fords, caviar costs more than chicken, and Monettes cost more than Bachs.

Well said! I would add that the main thing that adds to cost are the hands on time of a true craftsman. Labor = cost increase. The thing that makes the superhorns super is the fact that a craftsman spends days hand working the horn until it is close to perfect. That is why each hand made horn has its own personality, yet overall the brand is more consistent that those made mainly by machine.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandman322 wrote:
Quote:

Well said! I would add that the main thing that adds to cost are the hands on time of a true craftsman. Labor = cost increase. The thing that makes the superhorns super is the fact that a craftsman spends days hand working the horn until it is close to perfect. That is why each hand made horn has its own personality, yet overall the brand is more consistent that those made mainly by machine.

Well, Ferraris are actually faster and better looking, caviar tastes better than the chicken, and Trumpets...This all depends on the player.
Even if a student had a pro horn(like me), would he play or sound better than the professional with beginner horn? not neccessarily. However, I do agree with all the rarity and the craftsmanship, which does add a huge amount of money. Any more ideas? It didn't really solve my question...

Horns:
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tl2uMp3t_Er wrote:
Are tones worth that much?

Yes. There's your answer. Tone, intonation, tolerances--these separate most beginner horns from most pro horns.

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote: "caviar tastes better than the chicken"

Say whut!???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: