• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Third valve slide loose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Third valve slide loose Reply with quote

Nowadays I'm in the process of buying a second trumpet. Yesterday I tried one. It played well, it had the tonal color that I want, overall quality was good and the price was low. But I didn't buy it because when I placed it on the stand, the third valve slide slided down by its own weight. This never happens with my Yamaha. Is this a production fault, an indication of compression loss or do some trumpets have a snug fit like my Yamaha and some others with a looser design on purpose?
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: third slide Reply with quote

so,
The 3rd slide is supposed to work that way. That's why there are all sorts of slide stop mechanisms that keep the slide from falling out. The first and third slides should be so smooth to operate in order to facilitate throwing them out with your finger and thumb to adjust quickly and without moving the horn, as you are playing. Just make sure your stop devices are working correctly.
Regards,
NMex
Don Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should have fallen completely off the horn but to have it slide out a bit when sitting vertical on a stand - that's gravity man. Get used to it.

Don't forget that in addition to weak compression, a poorly sealing 3rd slide spit valve could be the culprit (if its installed). Did you check the compression for yourself? Did you hear the *pop*?
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my third slide is properly lubricated when it falls down of its own (and gravity's) volition. Then its nice and fast:) I keep the first slide a little slower, but not much. Just dont lose the slide stop.

Stuart
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. That trumpet didn't have the third slide spit valve. Yes I checked it and the pop sound was not so strong as in my Yamaha. I use a thin oil in my third slide and I can move it smoothly without any effort but still it never goes down by gravity when it is vertical. In fact if I move the slide without the third valve pressed and then release it, it returns quickly, not fully but it returns almost half the way, even when it's vertical. Is this someting peculiar to Yamaha slides?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good third valve slide on a good trumpet is NOT supposed to slide down of its own accord when on a trumpet stand. Every Schilke I've ever played has had a perfect third slide--meaning a totally effortless throw; but once on a stand, they stay in overnight because of tight valve compression.

I have a 50-some year-old Ambassador with a very nice third valve slide. Until recently, though, it would slide down slowly when on a trumpet stand. I had the valves rebuilt and now it stays put and still throws easily.

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: 3rd slide Reply with quote

It will depend on how you treat your slide. I use valve oil and the slide moves just by the force of gravity when I put the horn on the stand (probably a bit of compression working there too). Some people use heavier combinations of valve oil and lanolin or some other treatment and this will hold the slide somewhat. With regard to the original post, a 3rd slide that moves when the horn is placed on a stand is not likely an indication that there is a problem with the horn.
NMex
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mulligan Stew is probably right - my Schilke and Kanstul slides are as slick as glass - but they don't move a mm unless I press down the 3rd valve. On the other hand, I had a Bach from the early 80s whose 3rd valve slide would come down on my stand just from gravity. It had lost some compression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: