• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Poll.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simply Swingin'
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Monette Poll. Reply with quote

How many of you would pay for a Monette if you had the money?

I don't exactly know if I would. Although I can't say anything till I've played one.
5C
------------------------
Keep swingin'...
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by trpt.hick on Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might buy one of the lighter weight Monettes if I had the cash. But then again, I might just buy an Eclipse, or a Lawler or a Schilke instead.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would ... I still need to get a picc and I'm still pondering the idea of getting an alto trumpet someday. If I were forced to buy a more expensive Bb or C trumpet (beyond the Bach/Kanstul price range), I'd probably get an Eclipse.

I am simply not a good enough player that moving beyond my trusty Strad or my Chicago would really make that big a difference ... and think of how many lessons I could get for the price of a Monette!

Matthew 25:31-46
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shame in owning a Monette. Although Dave really doesn't like my name, I have played several of his horns and have yet to find anything negative about any of them. My personal favorite is the Ajna II. However, my Bach 905 plays a tad better.

I hear Manny Laureano (MN Orchestra) play on Monettes all the time and I'm not kidding, his sound is out of this world. I would like to have a full set of Monette trumpets in my showroom/trumpet museum (someday), some of which customers could pick up and play along side a wide assortment of many other horns including my own.

Jason Harrelson
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way - none of them sound like a trumpet.

romey
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romey1 wrote:

romey

The new XLT Commercial Bb's sound better than any horn Dave has ever made.(in my opinion of course) About 4 years ago I would have shelled out the $$$ for the Monette, now I would not.

I will say this that Dave's XLT Commercial Bb's are VERY trumpet sounding and they scream and darken up as needed. I think Dave is starting to catch on to the whole "lighter isn't necessarily bad" idea. And his horns are sounding better and better too.

The problem is that the new Commercial Bb's (XLT) are $8,200 in raw with an extra $900 for the brush Gold plating and another $2,400 for the Prana upgrade....That is absolutle ridiculous! Problem is that people actually pay that much for their horns! Geez! That's $11,500 just for a 'lightweight' commercial horn....What is this world coming to? Just think what it would cost for one of the bigger, heavier, 'more time consuming' horns that he makes. I could probably put a REALLY NICE downpayment on a brand new house for that!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JSTpt1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me a sucker (and I know that some of you will) but I would love to own one. I really don't think its the marketing machine that has me hooked, I just happen to agree with his concept of sound. If I could sound like Terence Blanchard for a day, I think I would die happy. And yes I practice like crazy, so I know that thats how they got there, not by dropping 15 g on a horn. But yeah, if I had the money, I'd be on the first plane down to Portland to set him up making me a big, heavy, dark as hell 24k brushed gold trumpet.

... On the other hand, my girlfriend asked me today: "If you want to sound like a trombone, why don't you just play trombone?" I don't have an answer yet...

Monette B1-1, B1-5L, C1-1 mpc
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Misquote Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:
romey1 wrote:

romey

The new XLT Commercial Bb's sound better than any horn Dave has ever made.(in my opinion of course) About 4 years ago I would have shelled out the $$$ for the Monette, now I would not.

I will say this that Dave's XLT Commercial Bb's are VERY trumpet sounding and they scream and darken up as needed. I think Dave is starting to catch on to the whole "lighter isn't necessarily bad" idea. And his horns are sounding better and better too.

The problem is that the new Commercial Bb's (XLT) are $8,200 in raw with an extra $900 for the brush Gold plating and another $2,400 for the Prana upgrade....That is absolutle ridiculous! Problem is that people actually pay that much for their horns! Geez! That's $11,500 just for a 'lightweight' commercial horn....What is this world coming to? Just think what it would cost for one of the bigger, heavier, 'more time consuming' horns that he makes. I could probably put a REALLY NICE downpayment on a brand new house for that!!!

I'm looking at the latest price list as I type and the XLT is $5700 raw brass, and $8550 rawbrass prana.
Kenny Roe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My colleague, Ravi Best, allowed me to try his new 994WJ PRANA and all I could say was WOW! While I do not know if this particualr model is right for me, if I had the bread, I would definitely check out what Dave M could make for me. FWIW I love his mouthpieces.

Last edited by Kenny Roe on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on both sides of this issue... I was on the outside looking in for MANY years and finally this past July, my position changed. Now I own a Monette and I really believe that they are even better than advertised. I have one of the Prana horns and it is the best thing for me. However, I advise all players to take any second-hand info about Monettes with a grain of salt. Formulate your own opinions about gear and then go unabashedly in the direction you enjoy. I love my Monette and I am not afraid to say it!
-efwd
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably depend how filty rich I would be, If 10 grand is just change I will probably go for it other than that I would rather buy several Lawler, Schilke, Taylor and vintage gems especially vintage horns!
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure monette's are good horn's,,, as good as any other professional horn like Schilke, Bach, Blackburn, Eclipse etc.! Just a matter of taste.
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me like there is a LOT of ignorance out there about Dave's work. Take a visit to his shop. It will change your life. I'm not going to try to sell his stuff to you guys, that's his job.
Don't get angry - just be aware that there are some very terrible misconceptions out there. If any person has a question about monette horns or would like to have a civilized conversation about his work, send me an e-mail. If you just wanna have a pissing match, don't bother.
Kenny Roe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really comes down to what works for you and what you are comfortable with financially. I have tried and would love to own a Monette trumpet but in my current situation, my wife would have a less than enthusiastic reaction to a purchase. Will that change? Hopefully. Do I like my Bach 43? Absolutely. Best horn I have ever owned. Does it play like a Monette? Not in any way.

We each need to find what we are comfortable with and enjoy it. The music is the most important, not what horn the cat next to us plays or how much he chose to spend.

It's all about the sound.
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Whatever Floats Your Boat Reply with quote

I'd love to try one of the light weights out. If I really fell in love with it, I'd shoot toward owning one. At present, this is how I feel about the Schilke Model S-42 ... which happens to be cheaper. A smart person will play what works for them regardless of the weight or horn producer.
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah maybe. It would probably be like a 993, 997, prana. Something like that. I had to be making some good money playing the trumpet to do it though. Monette has some good ideas behind his horns, but so does some other guys out there. Only time will tell.
Handguard once believed to be used by Arban
$10,000 Stoneline mute bought on eBay
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say that I absolutely love the sound Manny gets in the videos on the Monette website. I think he would get that sound on anything he played, but he is happy with Monette equipment, and I am happy that he has found what works for him.
Having said that, I like the way some of the Monette equipment sounds, but I would never own one even if I had money to burn. I just think he overcharges for his equipment, and that you don't get as much "bang for your buck." I mean, if I am going to pay $6,000 - $12,000 for a horn, I would expect it to be correspondingly better than the competition. Some of Monette's stuff is good, but it isn't that good. Of course, that is only my opinion, but if it's my dollar that I am spending, then my opinion is the one that counts!
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is a very sensitive issue...

I personally do not have any issue with the Monette prices. I know nearly all violinists in my orchestra play instruments that can be a few times more expensive than a Monette. The bassoonist's Heckel is a few times more expensive than a Samadhi...it is just if you think the price is justified.

I own a few Monettes so I am a believer. I will receive another Monette for a friend either tomorrow or early next week...if it plays significantly better than my current ones, I wouldn't hesitate to place another order!

https://www.facebook.com/hkvmc.hk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: