• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I only wish this was a joke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steroids in the marching band community is not a joke and is growing fast. young students doing everything they can to obtain a better range will try just about everything to impress there fellow marching band members and teachers as well as find the quick fix for themselves. It is not a coincidence that these band players often times find themselves in the football locker room "just hanging out" or getting into slap the wet towel fights with the naked dude across the bench after practice. After they develop a relationship with these players the barrier has been let down and the steroids come out. It will add range but at what price? Please do not try this people. If you have your heart set on steroids and no amount of reason will stop you please consider using Creatine. You can find this at GNC.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used creatine in the past (not to improve my range, but because I was lifting pretty hard at the gym) and although it did seem to give me a little better endurance and maybe a touch of range, it also made my chops feel a little stiff.

It's too bad that people will turn to a short term and potentially harmful solution of taking steroids to increase their performance. Unfortunately, that is one of the side effects of marching band/drum corps. In some cases it has turned into more of an athletic event than a musical one.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use creatine every once in while for around a month or so to help me bust through a barrier lifting and it works like a charm...but had NO real effect on my range, endurance or trumpet playing.
----Although they say Creatine is harmless and it might be, it is still relativly new and there are no long term studies to back that up----

[ This Message was edited by: dwm1129 on 2002-06-11 19:15 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not try this people. If you have your heart set on steroids and no amount of reason will stop you please consider using Creatine. You can find this at GNC.
=============================

I genuinely would like to offer help to any youngsters who think that drug taking is gonna help them play better...

contact me off list

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creatine is mainly helpful for short term power as opposed to increased endurance. I do not see how it would help one's playing in general. As far as steroids go, they will cause severe problems in the long run. If you want to play better, take it gradually and just practice more. Perhaps supplemented with some aerobic training.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creatine is mainly helpful for short term power as opposed to increased endurance. I do not see how it would help one's playing in general. As far as steroids go, they will cause severe problems in the long run. If you want to play better, take it gradually and just practice more. Perhaps supplemented with some aerobic training.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to use substances to be a good player, then how good of a trumpet player are you really?

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a while back asking if supplements were used by players trying to gain an edge. (Do a search using a keyword of supplements). I am sorry to hear of its use in marching bands. Creatines usage hasn't actually been proven safe has it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: