• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting my bach completely overhauled.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Getting my bach completely overhauled. Reply with quote

I finally broke down and sent my Bach to Chalie Melk to get a new reciever (the original one has a hairline fracture) fitted on as well as a complete overhaul. I also decided to get it gold plated and have a 1st valve saddle installed.

The only problem is that the leadpipe has red-rot and might need to be replaced. The leadpipe is a Bach 8 which nobody, inluding Charlie Melk, seems to have heard of. Hopefully it will not need to be replaced, but in case it does can anybody recomend some after market leadpipes that might match up will with a small bore trumpet?

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Dave Converse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably not gonna get any advice that's better than Charlie's. What does he suggest.
TrumpetSquire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize that I also cannot offer any advice except that on the Bach website they list the "6" leadpipe as the smallest or most constrictive leadpipe they make. That may be your best bet.

I also wanted to ask a favor. I have an older Bach C trumpet that I'm planning to send to Charlie Melk for an overhaul/leadpipe change. It would be of tremendous help to me if you could let us all know how long the turnaround time was on your horn, i.e., how long did you have to be without it? Also, if you don't mind, it would be nice to know what the work you had done cost. I understand If you object to discussing that. It just sounds as though you're having some of the same work done that I will need, and I'd like to be able to determine what it might cost (I've heard that Mr. Melk is very reasonable). Sorry for such a tacky question. Good luck with your horn, and I hope the above leadpipe information was helpful.
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is CHarlie Melk located?

MA
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just outside Milwaukee, WI. (West Allis)

Charlie's Brassworks
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin. I think suburban Milwaukee.

Of course, in this day of UPS and FedEx, he's effectively at the end of your driveway.
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Converse wrote:
You're probably not gonna get any advice that's better than Charlie's. What does he suggest.

So far he hasn't been able to get back to me about the leadpipe yet. There still is a chance that it won't have to be replaced, which would be optimal, but I would like to have my research done just in case.

For the overhaul in silver plate he charged me around $475, but my horn also needed some extra work as some old patches needed to be replaced. The best thing to do is email or call him and describe your horn and what you want done with it. He was very helpfull and got back to me quickly everytime. His on the phone estimate was also right in the ball park, but I am sure that he would need to see your horn to give an exact one.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after cleaning up the leadpipe Charlie found that it did not in fact have red rot. Its being gold plated right now and I should get it back in a week or two.

_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it plays with the gold plating when you get it back please. I'm always interested in hearing how changing finishes affects the sound and the way it handles.
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: