• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Genre-specific Horns or Super?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Genre-specific Horns or Super? Reply with quote

Ok. I am currently playing on a vintage committee for jazz and lead, and my Strad in Band and Quintet. The question is, do I abandon these to eBay and buy a great all around horn (max. of ~$3000) or keep/alter my current 2 trumpet setup?

What are the (dis)advantages of playing one horn versus two or more?

The dreaming has begun for the one great horn:

-Calicchio Solo Copper
-Wild Thing
-Blackburn
-Marcinkiewicz
-Eclipse
-A variety of European horns no one knows about that I would love to try.
-Possegger
-Inderbinen
-Romeo Adaci
-Laetzsch
-Straub
-Freebell
-Kroeger
-Martin Schmidt
-Hub Van Laar
-Musik Spiri

If you have any thoughts on any of those horns in particular, that would be great. I'm basically looking for the most versatile horn possible; from scathingly bright to rich and dark.
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Genre-specific Horns or Super? Reply with quote

NTlead wrote:
I'm basically looking for the most versatile horn possible; from scathingly bright to rich and dark.

We are all are.

There's no right answer to this. I don't think a boutique horn is truly more versatile than a stock horn. In fact, I think there are fairly few horns that are only truly suitable to one type of playing. While you're unlikely to chose a Schilke B4Lb if all you're doing is small group jazz playing there are lots of people that do everything on their from orchestral and solo to lead and jazz on their Yamaha 8335, Bach 37, Schilke B5, or Conn V1 1B. Middle of the road horns work well! <--(that's a really long sentence, sorry)

I'm currently using a two Bb set up right now. A Yamaha 6335HII and a Kanstul 1500. As you can imagine, the Yamaha is generally a little brighter and the Kanstul is a little darker but I could do all my playing on the Yamaha if I wanted to and even on the Kanstul if I had to.

If you're prepared to spend a lot of money on any of the horns you just mentioned you may get a "better"(i.e. easier to play) trumpet but I don't think you're terribly likely to get something that is inherently more versatile. Some people do everything on one horn and others like to specialize into differet setups. I think if much more closely related to the player's preferences than the instrument(s) he/she uses.
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: horns Reply with quote

My friend,

Stick with what you have. The Vintage Martins are probobly some of the best horns you could ever want. I imagine that your pirmary focus is in jazz. You can't go wrong with what you have. Honestly, you're not going to get much better for $3000. Perhaps if you find a Chicago Benge 3X for lead, go for it.

For now, my BEST advise to you is to stick to what you have unless there is a problem. It sounds to me like you are on the right track.

Good luck
M.A.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Genre-specific horns, or....(super ??) Reply with quote

Keep trying until your last (dying) breath. I have been on a quest to buy & try all the "legendary" horns of yore. Many have been surprisingly mundane and unremarkable. All the latest "boutique" horns are v cool; but, by nature, are expensive. Do you have any idea how many interesting and high build-quality horns from the past you can buy for $3k
(overlooking minor cosmetic flaws & such)? On the other hand, the "boutique" builders need your business, just to supply you with one horn for that sum. They are the innovators and craftsmen who warrent our respect and patronage. How else can they survive? The sole aberration of a $10K instrument escapes me. Will a horn like that make you a better player? Doubtful. Will it inspire you? Perhaps.
...Life is too short, sadly....
...Go for the Gusto!!

Robert Rowe

"...you cain't polish a turd!..." (old Southern expression)
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the best trumpet I've ever played was a Large Bore Chicago Benge. Most free blowing, sweet sounding instrument ever. It just made playing so easy and fun. Maybe I should try out the KAnstul 1070?
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: 2 horns Reply with quote

I also play on 2 trumpets. I play a Xeno 8335GS for legit and a Yamaha Z horn for small group and big band. I do find more power and blend with the Zeno in the section (big band), but don't care for of it (or me) on solos.

I would like to use 1 horn for everything. But, which one?

I have been thinking about a Chicago Brass Works horn. Again I think these might just be a great big band type horn.
Jim
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either of the Kanstul Chicagos, the 1070 or the 1001 could fit the bill. I can get my MLP to sound anyway I want..it's a very versatile horn.

Regards,

Trevor
_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two horns are harder to master than one but much more fun in my opinion. Each horn will have its character flaws if you will and it will take some studying to learn how to handle these little quirks. If you can handle the quirks that you already have I think two is better than one....But if neither one of these horns are what you consider "magic" go for the brass ring and get a magic one. they are worth owning!
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you have is great! But if you want to change, have you considered the Kanstul ZKT 1600 WB? It looks like a very vesitile horn, and if your were to special order it with a copper bell you might have a true gem on your hands.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brad. I'm not sure it's reasonable to assume that a more expensive horn is going to be more versatile -- or more anything, except more carefully constructed. In fact, when you consider that small makers are more likely to focus on niche markets than the high-volume builders, you could make a pretty good case that factory-built instruments are the most versatile. You will find Bach 37s being played by professionals in literally every setting imaginable, from jazz combos to big bands to chamber music to orchestras. I can't imagine how one horn could possibly be more versatile than two quality instruments, such as the ones you already have. If you want to go from your current situation to just one horn that fits pretty well in all situations... just sell the Committee!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I agree with Brad. I'm not sure it's reasonable to assume that a more expensive horn is going to be more versatile -- or more anything, except more carefully constructed. In fact, when you consider that small makers are more likely to focus on niche markets than the high-volume builders, you could make a pretty good case that factory-built instruments are the most versatile. You will find Bach 37s being played by professionals in literally every setting imaginable, from jazz combos to big bands to chamber music to orchestras. I can't imagine how one horn could possibly be more versatile than two quality instruments, such as the ones you already have. If you want to go from your current situation to just one horn that fits pretty well in all situations... just sell the Committee!

NTlead,

IMO, I would recommend you read the above quote over a few times, as I myself have done.

Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me, and just might save you a ton of money - unless spending a ton of money is your goal - and probably save you maybe some disappointment as well.

The more I read TrumpetHerald, the more I think that a condition called "equipment-itis" has infected many players.

I would imagine that the Bach Strad may very well be the most versatile horn ever made, or in use today.

I have two horns, but neither of them caused me to have to "mortgage the farm" to buy them, and I have them for fun - not because I couldn't play anything I wanted on either of them. My French Besson in probably the most "versatile," but my vintage King Silver Flair is just plain fun, and for certain reasons, invokes a sense of nostalgia in me...and I talk about "equipment-itis"...I guess I have a little bit also

But, to each his own...
L.Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "jazz and lead and Quintet" the full extent of your playing exposure? Then going with your present setup of horns is sufficient IMO.

Do you see yourself transposing orchestral works, being a soloist, etc in the future? Then maybe you would consider buying a C trumpet for the Orchestra or a heavy walled dark sounding Taylor Custom for solos.

To me, it sounds that you’re tired of the horns that you have and want a new and different one. If so, then this is what I suggest.

Make this decision with a great deal of caution. I have heard so many times of pros and amateurs selling their horns and wishing that they had them back; so, don’t jump ship or rather do away with what you already have. If you have some money, add to what you have to make up for the difference to that of what you lack.

Good luck,

Liad Bar-EL
_Ford850
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little slow but just noticed you're selling your Calicchio Z bell, I thought those were great lead horns, it oughta cut through a lead brick...why's it going?
Getzen Renaissance
Conn V One C
Getzen 3850S cornet
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Genre-specific Horns or Super? Reply with quote

NTlead wrote:
Ok. I am currently playing on a vintage committee for jazz and lead, and my Strad in Band and Quintet. The question is, do I abandon these to eBay and buy a great all around horn (max. of ~$3000) or keep/alter my current 2 trumpet setup?
If you have any thoughts on any of those horns in particular, that would be great. I'm basically looking for the most versatile horn possible; from scathingly bright to rich and dark.

From the article jazzalive added to his ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3767256902
it looks like this would be the horn. Check it out:
http://www.webspawner.com/users/jazztrumpeter/equipmentgadget.html
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain that both your Martin and Bach are in top playing condition. If they haven't been PVA'd by Tanabe or aligned by Reeves or equivalent, then I think that you may be pleasantly surprised by having that done to both.

Next, what do you want that's different from what you get from those two horns. For instance, I'm seriously considering a Getzen Genesis because I want an ultra-warm toned trumpet for jazz and solo-only type playing. The one I tried at the DFW TrumpetFest was very dark toned.

Dave
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: I know for a fact that the Committee should have a PVA because I can see the side of the valve through the 2nd valve slide. However, I really like the way it plays, and don't want to mess with it in that regard.

Dave H and NE: I do not particularly like my strad. It shuts off in the upper register, it puts up a ton of resistance, and crack 10X as many notes on it than on any other trumpet I've played. The Committee's holding up it's end, but the Strad tends to let me down.

Ford850: I bought the 1sZ/2 as a replacement for my Committee. But, the Committee vastly outplayed it, in every area except the slotting of notes, which I've now gotten used to.

Liad: Yeah, that's almost the extent of my playing.

1. Lead
2. Jazz
3. Brass Quintet
4. Band
5. Solo

I would also never sell one of my horns without finding a superior replacement. For example, when I bought the Calicchio as a replacement for my Committee, I realized I didn't want to let the Committee go, and Sold the Calicchio instead.

Thanks.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there seems to be a lot of positive comments around here about both the Eclipse and the Destino horns...
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTlead wrote:
Dave: I know for a fact that the Committee should have a PVA because I can see the side of the valve through the 2nd valve slide. However, I really like the way it plays, and don't want to mess with it in that regard.

Just keep in mind that you can reverse a PVA if you don't like the results. I'd bet that the odds are 90 to 10 that you'll prefer it with the PVA. Tanabe will return your old felts to you. You could ask that he label them just in case you want to go back to the old setup.

Dave
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't mentioned Callet in your list of dream horns?!? Plays way better than my Bach ever thought about, and I've got a good old one. And Wayne's Chicago Brass Works are extremely well made.
Still, I bet putting a little money into your Bach w/ a quality repairman like Wayne at The Brass Bow could make you happier than shelling out a lot of money for a new horn. His BIAS system is pretty promising ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: