• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S piccolo ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: B&S piccolo ? Reply with quote

Is anyone playing a B&S 3131/2 piccolo and can give me some insight about the horn. I played a couple of piccolos last week and this one seemed to be good value for money. It played easier for me compared to a Yamaha 9830. Maybe because it has a bigger bore size and I'm not used to play a piccolo.

I played a 3132 without the trigger, the 3131 with the trigger seems to be a better deal I asume.

I didn't have the chance playing a Kanstul, I only played a Yammie, 3 Selmers (to small for me) and a Scherzer (nice horn).
Musicman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and I really like it. It is a very big sounding piccolo. I have owned Schilkes, Getzens...played Yamahas, Benges, Scherzers, Selmers, Stomvis, Bachs, and Kanstuls. I really am quite happy with this piccolo. Mine is the 3131/2 with the trigger, which I also very much use quite a bit. You can´t go wrong with this piccolo.
Escuela Universitaria de Música: Universidad de la Republica-Uruguay
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mpc do you use on it ?
tryingtocomeback
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play this picc. I recently purchased it after comparing it to the Kanstul CCT920, the Stomvi Elite, the Yamaha YTR 6810, the Getzen 940 and the Selmer Paris 59BFL. I did not audition the Schilke because I knew I could not afford it and I did not have the opportunity to audition the Schertzer. I was really hoping I would like the Selmer or the Kanstul the best, but the B&S played the best in tune for me and had the best sound and projection (verified by section mates and audiences on the other side of the bell - where it counts). I was able to play all these during rehearsals and performances as well as in the practice room for several weeks and the B&S outperformed them all. The fact that it costs anywhere from $200 to $500 less than any of the others is icing on the cake!

HTH, FWIW, YMMV, AATJ
Matt
Musicman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really personal question. Are you in a search for a picc mouthpiece? Do you have a picc mouthpiece already? Are you happy with it? Is this your first endeavor into the picc world? Right now I am using a 1C style mouthpiece for picc playing. Most people shiver with fear with using a large mouthpiece but to be honest, there are more people out there than you think that actually use larger stuff. As I said before, it is personal. I really highly suggest getting in contact with a GR dealer or any mouthpiece shop/manufacturer and have someone fit you with a mouthpiece for the instrument. I personally prefer GR and I can´t speak highly enough of the process these gentlemen use in getting the player with the correct mouthpiece.

Ben
Escuela Universitaria de Música: Universidad de la Republica-Uruguay
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a piccolo player and therefore not so familiar with it. I played with my Bach 3c and my Reeves 42ES on it. I couldn't get a proper tone with the Bach, the Reeves sounded fine on it.

I know a mpc is personal, I just wondered what you played on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: