• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgeezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Cornet Case Reply with quote

I travel a lot on business and normally try to take my cornet along with me (using "silent mute" system to practice in the hotel room). I have been wrapping the horn in a towel and putting it in my regular bag, along with all of my clothes, laptop, etc. Does anyone know of a bag, suitable for airline travel, that has a space for the instrument and a separte section for clothes, etc.? Thanks.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about checked baggage and not carry on. I know of no combo case like you mention but If I were you I'd locate a form fitted HARD case for your cornet and place it in your checked baggage. If it had to fly with my horn I'd use a pro-tec case and carry it on the plane. I would NEVER check-in and of my horns unless I had them in an anvil type case. I still wouldn't trust an anvil case because you can't lock luggage anymore due to the new terrorist guidelines.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
trumpetgeezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdev, thanks for the advise, which I agree with. I was looking for a carry on that would fit in the overhead storage, but am not hopeful that I can find anything like that. Take care.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezer... the PB301VAX is max sized, North American carry-on, has wheels and a pull handle in addition to the shoulder strap, and has room for "stuff" in addition to the horn. The foam blocks can be removed for extra space if you are only carrying one horn. The divider is velcroed. It's a solid case (not a gig bag). I've contemplated using mine without the cornet (I carry a trumpet and an Eterna cornet) with "overnight stuff" in addition to the trumpet.

Check 'em out at http://www.ptcases.com .
trumpetgeezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall, thanks for the link, I'll check it out!
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had very good luck with a Reunion Blues Double. It has a removeable center section that I leave home. My cornet fits in on top of a layer of socks and such and has survived many plane trips as a carry on. It also entertains the security guys. One said I could carry the horn on but playing it on the plane could be a federal issue. Must have been a sax player!

I would be reluctant to trust any airline with a horn as checked baggage. All too often the word Fragile is taken as a challange!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: