• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Even sneakier scam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Even sneakier scam Reply with quote

I recenly sold my Monette Flugel on eBay, to a guy in Texas, He sent me an e-check via pay-pal which is i the process of clearing. Here's the great part! I keep getting questions from other losing bidders letting me know that theyve recieved 2nd chance offers from different sellers. One person told me he had been sent a second chance offer form two different sellers(neither of them me). instead of using a eBay seller id, they encllose an e-mail address to contact them. Cute huh? Anyone else had this problem when selling? I sell all the time, and this is a new one!
Monette flugal #315(yes flugal)
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most certainly have I had this come up. It generally only occurs on the really high priced desirable items such as yours. I guess the crooks always aim for the big gains. It's just plain sick and sad!!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal experience....

The second chance seller will offer the same horn or another one just like it at a much lower price.
The buyer will be asked to send a money order or western union payment to an address overseas.
The buyer, obviously lacking the slightest vestige of common sense, will send their hard earned money to some low life who wouldn't know a flugelhorn from a Chevy pick up, but is quite a bit richer as a result of this low rent scam.

In my case I offered to send the seller a cashiers check for 5 times the sellers asking price. I asked him to immediately refund the difference to me and send the horn at his leisure. The seller actually agreed to do so. He asked for my SS# and bank account # to expedite the refund process! He also wanted to meet with me to discuss some other "business opportunities" he had in mind........................

Now that's a devoted crook!
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've been selling for a couple of years, and I havent had this one yet, guess i was just lucky. One of the bidders on the horn was almost fooled and fell for it!
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had so many attempts by scammers to "sell" my horns, I have a folder filled with at least 100 e-mails from clients and bidders. It is ridiculous...why doesn't ebay let us block bidders that are new users with a zero feedback rating???

I even have fake checks made out to my company which have been turned over to the FBI.

Where does it end?

Jason Harrelson
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Jason's question: It ends when it stops working. these guys are vultures who prey on the uninformed. Worse yet they score on the greedy who think it makes sense to help launder some characters money in some mysterious way.

Going forward when I get an offer that smells like one of these con men I'm going to ask for payment in gold bullion, delivered to the local IRS office for examination.

Let's at least confuse these bums with some of our own BS.
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel Jason, the sad thing is that it will not end unless ebay does provide sellers with some tools such as "0 feedback filters" and "right to refuse bids from . . ." , I e-mail eBay's help center a couple of timesin the past, but im sure that after a good laugh from whoever read it, it got trashed!

here's the latest 2nd chance sent to me by a bidder:

tampadance: did you send this?
>Dear casseal19, > >**Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address:RnddDxn@aol.com** > You expressed your interest in an item titled "Monette Flugelhorn Brushed Gold With Case RARE" (Item #3766485493) by bidding,however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy,the seller,is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of US $4,500.00.The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction,such as fraud protection.To purchase this item just contact the seller at RnddDxn@aol.com** > Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address:RnddDxn@aol.com** > > >To respond to this eBay member go to: >http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=2nd_chance0&frm=-1&iid=-1&de=off&redirect=0&contactsubmit=Contact+Member > >Thank you, >2nd_chance0
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonHarrelson wrote:
why doesn't ebay let us block bidders that are new users with a zero feedback rating???

As a potential buyer that has yet to ever bid on Ebay I resent this oft repeated suggestion. I DO think it's appropriate for the seller to ask first time bidders to contact them first, but I think that blocking is an unfair practice. We all have a "first time" and it shouldn't be held against us if we're not "experienced." This ain't junior high.

Dave
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see wherer your soming from dcstep, but as a long time seller, I have to tell you that my heart just sinks when im selling a high dollar item and I see a big "0" for feedback as an auction ends, I tell my friends who are new ebayers they should purchase something small and cheap just to get some buying experience and their feedback up to 1 or 2. Call me prejudice, but I've had a rough time in the past from some newbies not knowing their way around the site and I have had plenty of auctions where I have posted not to bid unless you have a feedback of at least "2" and newbies just bid anyways, it takes time away from everybody to cancel bids when an e-mail stating intentions would suffice. That said, i still would like a "zero feeback lock" available to the seller. If that makes me a jerk, then so be it.
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tampajazz wrote:
I have to tell you that my heart just sinks when im selling a high dollar item and I see a big "0" for feedback as an auction ends, I tell my friends who are new ebayers they should purchase something small and cheap just to get some buying experience and their feedback up to 1 or 2.

If I were a scammer I'd build a rep with a few small items then slam you. I think that this actually happens, from what I've read.

Dave
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tampa....however, if you have a zero and you call me and ask real questions about the horn(s) I'm selling, then there is no need to worry. It is the daily e-mail from a new bidder (new today) that asks me to forward extra money that we're talking about. IF ebay did create the filter I mentioned, you could still get around it...then again, we can see what you purchased and from whom, which could be an advantage to both buyer and seller.

I'm not against new ebay members at all....but almost every non-paying bidder used the buy it now on a $2000+ horn and they were new to ebay as of that week with a zero feedback.

If you're new to ebay, I suggest getting a feel for it with smaller items in the beginning anyhow...that's how I got started.

Jason Harrelson
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got another goofy BUYER email on a horn I have listed in the Marketplace.

As part of the scam patrol I propose that we all ignore any communication that includes things like spelling the word you as a letter "U" and calls the horn an item or a unit.

If you're going to try and cheat me at least clean up your grammer! Come on you rascals out there. Come up with a more sophisticated approach so we can at least have a better laugh at your expense!

Personally I am deleting all offers of overpayment. Also offers to ship the horn on approval to Denmark (no kidding. this was a real proposal. The BUYER said if he liked it he would give me a credit card # to use for any purchses I want to make up to $7,500.00)

To all scam artists:

Please go away and run Ponzi scams on undecover cops or something.
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both 2nd chair and Jason! I had a guy Send me an E-mail for the Monette flugel that said" i want to buy ur horn, I live in Switzerland, but will drive down to pick it up, will you hold it for me?" These scamers are getting lazier and lazier, they come up with new schemes, but all seem to have the intelect of a ten year old. Jason, way to go on the posting
Quote:
I'm not against new ebay members at all....but almost every non-paying bidder used the buy it now on a $2000+ horn and they were new to ebay as of that week with a zero feedback.

If you're new to ebay, I suggest getting a feel for it with smaller items in the beginning anyhow...that's how I got started.

I always find it unsettling to have someone ready to spend $1500.00+ who has never had a transactin before. I think everyone can benifet from ebay(buyers and sellers) but you wouldnt go buy a ferrari blind if you cant drive stick.
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is "INTERPOL" (Int'l Police), but, I think they only get involved with big bucks ($10k-US, I think) deals, like art heists and forgeries.
Somehow, we (us'n) might have a way to form a vigilante- force group (The A-Team, etc.) to "scam the scammers", and "do a number on them"
("tap-dance" on their heads). ...Sounds like a great theme for a TV series, but with a "reality"-twist....

Robert Rowe - above average hominid
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tampajazz, I've given this some thought.

I really think the right answer is to invite this guy to drive down from Switzerland and meet you in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Tell him if you're not there to wait.
tampajazz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that 2ndchair, however, I think we should also tell him to send us three times the money and we will bring him the change(for his client) when we meet him there!
Selmer Paris K-modified
Martin Committee
Selmer DeVille
Yamaha YTR-738
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other trumpeter in my quintet just purchased a UMI Benge D/Eb on eBay. He liked it, it matches mine (sort of - mine is a Burbank Benge, after all), and the price was right.

Trouble is he had never purchased anything before on eBay. To have asked him to make a 'test purchase' a time or two to get his rating up from zero (0) would have been paramount to his having to let the trumpet go.

Since very few Benge D/Eb trumpets are offered on eBay, particularly at that price, my friend had to act. He was the high (and only) bid and is simply delighted at the prospect of receiving the trumpet.

That said, the 'new account, zero feedback' bidder is a problem simply because it is the venue through which scoundrels operate.
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tampajazz wrote:

I always find it unsettling to have someone ready to spend $1500.00+ who has never had a transactin before. I think everyone can benifet from ebay(buyers and sellers) but you wouldnt go buy a ferrari blind if you cant drive stick.

I understand your concern, BUT I've been an Ebayer for about six years and I've bought and sold maybe six or eight horns in that time, BUT none on Ebay. I watch Ebay to see prices. I've got a DFW Trumpeter mailing list which is a big help when selling items and, of course, there's the TH Marketplace. Anyway, that's beside the point, just because I don't have any Ebay feedback doesn't mean I'm a newbie.

I think the answer was in an earlier post, suggesting that those with no feedback contact the seller and ask some real questions not using "U" for "you", etc. When I finally bid on a large bore Committee for $2000, I WILL contact the seller to make sure he or she realizes I'm for real.

Dave
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstep --
What is "DFW Trumpeter" ??
Sorry...I'm not familiar with that....

Robert Rowe, above average hominid
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Dallas Fort Worth would be my guess ... so he could sell locally.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: