• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor C trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Taylor C trumpets Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with Taylor C trumpets? How do they play? How is their intonation? Do they blend with other horns? I have played the Bb versions, and if I remember correctly, they played very dark...I was wondering how the C versions held up.
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few taylor's, Bb and C, and have never found one that even played halfway decently. Yes, they are dark, but no, they don't play well.

Kevin
lewis4545
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Taylor London C for a brief period of time. I bought it as a companion to a Chicago Custom Bb that I was playing at the time. While I loved the Chicago Custom Bb, I just didn't like the C. Either I was having intonation problems or it was having intonation problems. As an example, I was playing in a church group (the only horn player), and I just couldn't tell if I was in tune or not...really weird. I got so frustrated, I just stopped playing and sang. Anyway, I ended up selling the thing on eBay to a symphony player in Australia...he wrote me a few weeks later and said he loved it. Go figure...maybe it was me. If I had my druthers, I would stick with either a Bach C (needs to be hand-picked), or go with a Schilke.

"This world is a circus, so you have to do serious things with a light heart."
- John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie
barrone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Taylor Trumpets Reply with quote

Hi:

I cannot comment on the playability of the Taylor "C" horns, however, in direct contradistinction to the second responding poster, I currently own a Taylor Chicago Custom II Bb and have tried several other Bb models and found them all to be fine, if not easy blowing horns. I will add, however, that the Chicago Custom requires quite a bit of air support but then again, it is a heavy horn.

To make a statement that "they do not play well," suggests a degree of underlying hostility and perhaps lack of true experience with the horns in question.

Bottom line, try one for yourself and decide.
jazzbebopswing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Taylor Trumpets Reply with quote

I'm a Chicago Custom owner and very pleased with my horn. I have found, however, that the instrument tends to bring out weaknesses in my technique; both embouchure and playing.

The horn is like a finely tuned instrument (no pun intended) and requires a certain amount of player development and consistency to really exploit the capabilities of the instrument. Imperfections in technique will cause the player to feel, and likely be, in and out of tune during a gig.

My bottom line: a fine instrument and about as dark as my Bach 37 ML. I have a naturally dark sound so I'm not too surprise by this. Also, I find the Taylor to be very open with a nice rich core. I don't, as others have commented, find it takes a great amount of air to blow. I do, however, feel that weak breathing technique will cause the player difficulties. So I end as I began: Technique.

John Erskine
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis4545 wrote:
If I had my druthers, I would stick with either a Bach C (needs to be hand-picked), or go with a Schilke.

A Schilke C trumpet??? Schilke doesn't have the best track record on C's from what I have been hearing. Why not try one of the new Yamaha's? I have heard from my classical playing friends that the new Yamaha is the best new C on the market. Of course some may love the schilke C's....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: