• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Busy Season Benefits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Busy Season Benefits Reply with quote

Well as a comeback player I have been struggling to regain range and endurance. Practice and the community band schedule was helping but I felt I needed more. In October, I maneged to find just the right folks to start a brass quintet. I really like the music and figured it would be a fun addition to the mix.

So we got started. played a few times and then decided that maybe we were good enough to get a few Christmas gigs. We stepped up practices and low and behold ended up with roughly 7 performances on our schedule (2 of them outdoor 2 hour gigs)

Some went very well. Some showed we needed work. The last 5 were in succesive days. I was very worried that my endurance would not hold up. And while it was a close thing, I felt that my chops responded well. Each day I felt stronger at the end of the performance than the previous day.

There is something about the intensity of a performance that is different them just practicing. To all my fellow comeback players, I'd suggest finding as many opportunities to play as possible. It was alot of fun, musically rewarding and beneficial.

Now that we're done, I need to try and maintain some of that intensity.

Gary

Kanstul Chicago 1000
Reynolds Contempora Cornet
Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn
cbtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun.

What all did you play? Two hours is a long time, all right.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is great. How often did you practice and how did you learn 2 hours of material for the gig?

I'm impressed. Great going and keep it up.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
gander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilPicc wrote:
I think that is great. How often did you practice and how did you learn 2 hours of material for the gig?

I'm impressed. Great going and keep it up.

We practiced one a week. We would have been crisper if we'd practiced more, but it was okay as was. The truth was our set was about 40 minutes of music.

The two hour gigs were at for the Santa train at the Northwest Railway Museum http://www.trainmuseum.org/Trains/SantaTrain.htm

Since this was a continuous stream of new people we could repeat without anyone hearing the same song twice. The Santa train gig was really great because alot of yooung children got to see the quintet. There were alot of big eyed stares. Obviously most had never seen brass intruments up close.

G

Kanstul Chicago 1000

Last edited by gander on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
gander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtrumpet wrote:
Sounds like fun.

What all did you play? Two hours is a long time, all right.

Indeed two hours was along time. As noted above, we were able to repeat songs without anyone hearing the same one twice. Those gigs were almost too much. In addition they were outside in 30-40 degree weather.

We mostly played songs from Camp Kirland's Christmas collection, with a few additional pieces thrown in.

G

Kanstul Chicago 1000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: