• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry XXCAPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Curry XXCAPS Reply with quote

Has anyone got a set of Curry XXCAPS for the Bach Strad. I've just ordered a set (they'll look good even if they don't do much) and wondered if anyone had tried or got a set?

Cheers

Adrian

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set on my Bach 37. They certainly make a difference in how heavy the horn feels. There was a clear difference in how the horn played, but I can't really say how it was different. I didn't notice any real possitive benefits, but I didn't notice anything negative either. It was just a lot different. I never was able to tell much of a difference with just heavy valve caps, but the XXCAPS certainly made a noticable difference.

You will notice that the heavy finger buttons will slow the action down on good horns, but when experimenting on another Bach with less then stellar valve action and the valves actually felt faster on that horn. It's strange I know.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my own review here:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18695&highlight=curry

I must say I was really surprised at how much the XXCaps darkened the sound of my 72/25LR!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On most horns, and on all properly made horns, heavy caps are the perfect solution for a non-problem.

Tom
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Hi,

On most horns, and on all properly made horns, heavy caps are the perfect solution for a non-problem.

Tom

You mean on most Wild Things? Those could be the definition of "properly made horns", but I continue to struggle along with a flawed instrument. On my 77 Benge mlp they are a real benefit. (I use 'em without the o-rings--that sound is too dark, and not pretty sounding). My 41 York doesn't need them. Although it looks just like my Benge, it's heavier being satin silver and older...I doubt it's "properly made" though.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pfrank,

It looks like I got some X'splainin' to do! My cut-off time to leave the house in the morning and not be late at work is 7:35. I wrote that brief post at 7:33!

Actually, Flip DOES include Curry CC caps as part of his Flip Oakes C trumpet package . . . along with BOTH rounded and "square" tuning slides!

Which brings me to the point of xXplainin' what "playing properly" means to me . . .

What one person considers playing properly may not mean the same thing to someone else.

The C trumpet is a perfect example. To me, the Flip Oakes C absolutely does NOT need the CC caps, AND I love the round slide (but not the square one). As I hear others play the horn, some sound better on the round . . . other players sound better on the square! Its the same on reactions too. Some players love one square but not the round . . . and visa versa! Some love the CC caps, others don't. For me they make the horn blow too tight. For others who prefer a tighter blow the reaction is sometimes different.

Especially on C trumpets, I wish other companies offered the "full kit" for players too . . . in order to "dial in" the horn better! Most owners of C trumpets have never been able to try the differences that the two slides make!

Many classical players really want tight slots . . . so that an entrance on a high note, after hundreds of measures of rests, is rock solid! However, if all trumpets slotted this tight the jazzers would HATE 'em, for they need to bend notes, glissandos, etc. Conversely, making the slots a little slippery would doom a horn for legit playing.

BTW, I use a 5 cent, heavy brass washer screwed between my third valve body and my lower third valve cap. A slight bit more mass seems to tighten the slots on most horns. Strangely, it can sometimes improve intonation too! I like what it did for me when doing legit work.

To make my much loved Wild Thing Bb trumpet play "properly" for me, I'll also use the conventional braced tuning slides when playing legit jobs (like I'll do this Sunday). The #1 for a dark, full sound, the #4 when I want a slight edge to the sound to balance dead accoustics. The #3 is more brilliant . . . and the tight #2 is light and bright for baroque in a small, live hall!

However, to make my much loved Wild Thing Bb trumpet play "properly" this coming Saturday night doing a private gig with my 7-piece combo . . . I'll be using my "J4" unbraced tuning slide! This slide changes the blow of the horn too, as well as the core of the sound! Again, I change the different "J" slides to balance the room accoustics on a gig.

It could accurately be stated that the new J (for Jazz) slides are the "perfect solution for a non-problem" when playing the "Thang" on classical gigs!

I'm picky as heck about my sound, and I know you are too! I hope you enjoy your CC caps as much as I love my four J slides and four "conventional slides on my Bb Wild Thing! Whatever it takes to make it blow perfectly for the situation!

Warmest regards,

Tom

PS: I love the sound of the old Benge trumpets, and once played a fantastic '72 3X (#9727) that I regretted getting talked out of years ago. It is my all time second-favorite trumpet! The "J3" makes my WT sound like a 3X and the "J4" more like a 5X!
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the heavy add on stuff the mouthpiece has a lot to do with the sound. I tried the C-Caps on my Holton with a small diameter mouthpiece and it sounds as if I had a sock in the bell... with one on the third vale.. now with one on all valves it is pretty nice. It does lock in the slots pretty hard though. Now with a larger diameter piece the third valve only really enhanced the sound. Go figure.....
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, thanks Tom for elucidating. I was just playing acting at seeming offended.

I LOVE Wild Thing Bb trumpets. I got a chance to try one at Osman Music this year and was blown away...it had the round slide...the Only other new trumpet I like as much (or better) than my old original 77 3X Benge mlp. (I need to try the Kanstul Chicago models) Plus it seemed to have some of those easy playing qualities I enjoy in cornets AND a very warm, full tone. Not just a "high compression" trumpet as it was described to me by a well known brass repair man (who is classically influenced).

I guess I've adapted to my trumpet as opposed to adapting the instrument itself. I even like the worn reciever's resulting gap! I like bending notes...
The 41 York is a med lg bore pro instrument and I use it when a more piercing, sweet tone is needed, or when I'm totally chop exhausted, needing a rest, and the Benge feels cavernous...after a few numbers on the York I'm ready to fill the Benge again. (As I've written before, the York looks like a Benge with the forward 2nd valve slide, single brace, semi square crook shape, same bell flair...)
I Will use a few different mps (different resistance and depths, same rim) depending on the music and sound I need, and to bring back the original topic, it's the CCCaps that allow me to make a warm sound AS WELL as the bright / complex overtone commercial sound the Benges are so well adapted for. Merry, merry!
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Monette B3 in the mail and have been trying it out. Playing with the stock valve caps it plays kinda stuffy. I added 1 one cap on the third valve and it did not make to much difference... so I added all 3 and it made a big difference. So I put o-rings on the #3 and #4 and wow... what a difference. The Monette is the STC1 weight so I guess in needed the extra mass to work well.

I will keep playing around with them... I am a trumpet geek you know.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: