• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Severinsen Eterna - How to tell bore?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluedoggy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Getzen Severinsen Eterna - How to tell bore? Reply with quote

I have found a Severinsen which I think is mid-late 60's and am thinking about checking it out. How can you tell, by looking at it, which bore it is? Is this period good for these horns? What is a fair price for one in very good condition?

Thanks.
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that they are ML bores unless they are stamped with "LB" right below the serial number on the 2nd valve. I may be wrong but I believe that's what I had read on here once. I have an old Severinsen w/o the LB stamped on it.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Bluedoggy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Do you find the ML to be overly bright? That is why I was interested in a large bore.
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might send an email to Mary at the Getzen plant and ask her what the bore is of the trumpet you are interested in. I think some of the early Severinsen LB had a .468 bore and the later ones, like the '76 I have was a .464, but I could be mistaken. I have owned a ML bore Severinsen, but that was several years ago and I haven't played the two side by side. I am playing a ML bore now, a Lawler, and it doesn't sound as bright as the Severinsen.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Getzen Eterna Severinsen model trumpets are .460" bore unless stamped LB on the second valve casing right under the leadpipe and serial number.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
woo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played both side by side. The LB model I have is a 0.468 bore with the pre-amado spit valves. I can not comment on the 0.464 model. The ML eterna played noticeably brighter and seemed to project better. The LB has fuller and mellower sound. It rings nicely when played above the staff. I have also read that the LB's were made with two different kind of bells. I am not sure how to tell which one is which.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Severinsen Eterna - How to tell bore? Reply with quote

Bluedoggy wrote:
I have found a Severinsen which I think is mid-late 60's and am thinking about checking it out. How can you tell, by looking at it, which bore it is? Is this period good for these horns? What is a fair price for one in very good condition?

Thanks.

Some good info here already, but I'll add.

Yes, the large bores will have LB stamped on the valve above the serial number. If the horn you are looking at is 'factory' with the standard water keys, then it is an earlier model. The 'good years' for that horn were 1964-1979. The ML bore was indeed .460. I understand that Doc liked a tighter blow, so Getzen provided two tuning slides, a .458 and a .460. The ones with a single tuning slide are likely .460. Frankly, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two, but then again, who plays like Doc? He is sensitive to the most subtle differences due to his extreme skill level.

The original large bores were .468 and were changed to .464 some time after 1974. I have owned both, and prefer my LB over the ML, perhaps because I prefer an open blowing horn and am an inherently more 'brilliant' player...(sound, not IQ). The LB is just not as edgy for me, and I feel that it is more versatile to various types of playing.....yet, the upper register literally flies out of this horn, and with stability.

I am awefully curious about the .464 tuning slide and am even considering having one made as an option for my LB. That might even be ideal for that horn.
Bluedoggy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about the 'bright' thing, but it seems to be such a well respected horn, I figure I better try it out.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedoggy wrote:
Thanks, all. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about the 'bright' thing, but it seems to be such a well respected horn, I figure I better try it out.

One thing I'd like to add......I use GR mouthpieces and did not try anything deeper than the medium depth 'M' cup on the ML bore. I have found the'M'to be perfect with the large bore, but I'm thinking that a deeper cup, like GR's 'MX', or something similar in your mp brand might tame the ML Eterna a bit.
Bluedoggy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daff wrote:
Bluedoggy wrote:

One thing I'd like to add......I use GR mouthpieces and did not try anything deeper than the medium depth 'M' cup on the ML bore. I have found the'M'to be perfect with the large bore, but I'm thinking that a deeper cup, like GR's 'MX', or something similar in your mp brand might tame the ML Eterna a bit.

Thanks. I haven't hit the 'mouthpiece safari' thing yet, but I know it will come. Does it make sense to try darkening a bright horn with mouthpiece choice or should I hold out for a darker horn?
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Part of the answer is relative to your personal sound and your concept of sound. If your sound leans dark, regardless of trumpet, then you may be able to naturally take the edge off of an inherently brilliant sounding horn.

I'm convinced that each trumpet should be matched with a mouthpiece that optimizes the target results based upon the player's input. One consideration is that a medium deep peice might be less work than a deep piece for some. Lots of variables, enough to lead to an entirely new thread on that topic alone.

My Schilke B1 seems to be more agreeable to my sound with a deeper (higher volume) cup, so I use the GR 'MX' with it. That mouthpiece is simply too much for the LB Eterna, which is nicely matched with the medium M cup. On the other hand, the Schilke blows way too brilliant for me with the M cup.
Why not try the Eterna with your current mp. It may be just fine.

Let us know how the trial goes.
Fusion2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd comment here.. even though this thread is kinda old.... I had the chance to try out a Early 60's Severinsen Large bore, so early infact the serial is SK360X.... Holy Smokes... I dont think I've ever played a nicer lead horn. I couldnt believe how much cutting power the horn has when you push it.... upper register is incredible on this horn. My jazz director uses one, and he let me try it out in jazz last wednesday. I was shocked to say the least. Most comfortable and effortless upper register I've felt on any horn. Slots were on the loose side, which made the horn really fun to play. It was a bit slippery for me, but I'm not used to a horn with slotting like that. It was a fun experience. I'm going to try to find one for myself.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a rookie player and have a Getzen LB ser. # SKxxxx. I recently got a Northern Brass mp (similar to a GR-made at the same place). That mp made a big difference both my tone and volume output. Bruce Lee suggested it and it sure is a good match for that horn and me.

Stan
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good time to bring this thread back to life (for me). I borrowed a friend's early-mid 70s ML Doc last week, and...........WOW. I was really impressed. Precisely as described by Fusion2002 above. Talk about cuts like a knife when pushed. If one is looking for a horn with which to "blend", this is NOT the axe of choice.
I WILL be looking for one for myself (Do I hear any offers for sale out there?). Feel free to let me know.

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
d5968
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1964 ML severinsen and I don't feel is has a bright tone, but I use a 1C mp. I think it is an outstanding horn. they sell from 500-750.
they are very underrated.
Destino-USA #2
Flip Oakes Cornet (Wild Thing)
Calicchio1S/9L
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedoggy wrote:

Thirty years ago everybody liked "bright" and light, and the Severinsen trumpet sold like hotcakes. When I worked in retail back then, the Eterna sold two-to-one over every other brand, including Bach.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Fusion2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just need someone to chime in with an early LB for sale... They are hard to find, almost every Severinsen that goes across ebay is the ML version.
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the add in the marketplace for :'74 Severinsen Eterna LB When I click on the add, it goes to a "blank" add. It's been there since Feb.... the seller obviously didn't delet the add because it is still in the listings with a couple of sentences from the beginning of the add. what's the deal. I wonder if he still has the horn.

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
Fusion2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope he sold it. I asked last week.
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... well, that's good to know... maybe he should go in and delete the add. It would be fun to try the LB... I love this ML I have...

How do you suppose a good ol' Eterna would stack up against the new Destino?? Silly question??

I won't mention brand names but this Eterna is right on the money when it comes to locking onto certain high notes... which I can't say for 2 or 3 other expensive trumpets I have owned... but that could have been the fault of the player Moral of the story... play a cheaper horn

http://www.stickam.com/wb0wls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: