• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Receding Jaw Que.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Receding Jaw Que. Reply with quote

This is my very 1st post on this forum. Right now I'm just a wannbe combacker because my trumpet is in shipment. I have a receding jaw, small mouth, and narrow lips. The mouthpiece that I'm getting is a Bach 7C (it comes with the horn). I had a problem (it's now over 45 yrs ago) hitting the high notes because I had to play down. No one ever told me to get another mouthpiece then when I played a Getzen. However, now I would like to get off on the right foot (armature?) so can someone suggest which mp I should be using to start? I have no real serious goals in wanting to play again--Just to have fun. Thanks.

Stan
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

As a fairly recent comeback player myself, I cannot reliably recommend a good mouthpiece source. It seems from viewing the posts regarding mouthpieces, that there is such a wide variety to choose from and too numerous variables that must be evaluated to locate one that is suited for you. Like you, I started out with a Bach (knockoff) 7C mouthpiece, which my instructor promptly changed for a Bach 5C. I then went to the Bach 3C, which gave me a greater flexibility in range. My best advice would be to take some lessons with a trumpet teacher (hopefully a good one). Taking lessons early on, will eliminate some bad habits before they begin to become a hardship to overcome. The trumpet teacher would also be able to recommend a different mouthpiece, stance, etc. that would give you the best chance to get the best sound from your horn. That in turn will drive your desire to play more often.

I am hopefully a good intermediate player now, after 11 months of playing. But, right now I play for me. I enjoy the sound, and try to maintain it throughout whatever piece I practice. Maybe later, I will find the confidence to play before others.

Good luck,

Gary Lapine
BAA Bugler

Also, I am certain that if you did a search on this site, that you might be able to find some valuable information that could help.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragment, Gary. My horn just got here an hour ago. I plays fine but the player leaves a lot to be desired. It will take many hours of practice to be able to play anything. Fortunately, I can still read music. I played for about 10 mins and my lips feel like floppy pieces of rubber.

Actually,a guy did recommend an mp for my situation and I ordered it today. It's a Marcinkiewicz 7PD. Looking forward to trying it but will continue practicing until it gets here.

Trumpet teacher? No, not in this little 1-horse town. Music teachers, yeah we got'em but I would only consider a teacher who is also an accomplished trumpet player. I might have continued playing in high school if someone hadn't told me that I would never be able to play much because I have a receding jaw. Now, in just the past few days, I find out on this forum, that there are quite a few outstanding players with the same problem. Lot's of wasted years have gone buy for what? My new Arban book will be here tommorrow and I'm just going to start out at the beginning and practice everyday. If I can get to where I can actually play again, then I might consider going for lessons but it will be at least a 3 hour drive one way.

Anyway glad to hear that you made it back in such a short time.

Merry Christmas!!
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

Make sure that you don't overdo the playing right now. Browse through this site, there is a wealth of experience and knowledge. Also check out other sites such as www.trumpetthink.com, which has some mpeg videos on what and how to do certain things, such as what angle produces the best sound; and the comeback player website which gives a great beginners practice routine.

At this stage, you need to rest between short practices so as not to blow your lips out. Not an easy thing to do, when the new horn has arrived, but take it easy and practice breathing exercises. I still have problems, as I tend to focus on the score and forget to breath properly, only to discover that the wonderful sound coming from my horn suddenly "fizzles". Warm up by removing the tuning slide from your horn, and "buzzing" through the lead pipe for about ten minutes off and on. Then go on to the scales for about the same time. I found that after doing that, that I begin to play the scales as a song. I go up three notes, then return three, then go up three and come back down two, and then mix up the beat. To me it sounds cool.

Find a good plan for playing, then follow it. If it works great, if it doesn't post a questions here. Most of the best trumpet players in America are here to help you.

Good luck,

Gary
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Gary. The hyperlink didn't work. The spring on the tuning tube doesn't work so I don't even need to remove it. I was worried as to why I wasn't getting any sound and then discovered it was open. Will have to get into the shop. No problem on overdoing the practice now. After 10 mins, my lips feel like flubber.

Stan
firsttimer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Gary, Stan go for it, enjoy it no matter how long it takes. I've only been playing 2yrs and I love it, some days I can practice and hour, other days 30 mins.Enjoy the highs and the lows, excuse the pun.

God bless, Alan from downunder, Australia
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement, Alan. I'm actually able to play for 30 min or so now. I just got a cornet off ebay a few days ago. My tone is so much better on it than the trumpet. I'm doing BE exercises in the morning and just playing from a songbook in the evening. I do need to get some other mp for the cornet. The comeback road will be a long one, but I'm 65 and in no great rush.

Stan
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Stan!

You're doing all of the right things! Time and patience are the most important... an area in which many trumpet players fall short.

Once you feel your feet are more firmly planted, it would be best to have a trumpet and cornet mouthpiece that match. Especially with thinner lips, those cornet mouthpieces can feel like a footbath!

Keep up the great work!

Best always,
Bruce
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Bruce. I've noticed that I really have to empty the spit valves quite a bit but have no idea on how to cut down on the amount of that stuff getting into the horn. Seems like it could be embarrassing when I play in public (that's aways off, though).

Stan
proton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the spit valve issue--I found that when I started my comeback (about 6 months ago) I was spitting like crazy too, but as I play more and more I tend to spit less. I think my mouth just had to get used to playing again. Good luck!
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Proton. I also discovered that there is moisture coming out the bell. Wow, did that surprise me! I have to get some brushes to make sure that the horns are kept clean so that those nasty chemicals don't damage the metal/lacquer.

Stan
firsttimer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, I believe there is a program called Smart Music on the internet, were you can play music and will be advised if your in tune etc It costs about $300 Aussie, which is about $150 US. Could be just the thing for you if you can"t find a teacher. All the best Stan.

God bless, Alan.
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

After getting back into reasonable shape, visit as many music stores as you can and try out different mouthpieces. A nice tone and sound is what you are looking for no matter what size or type of mouthpiece you settle on.
trptStudent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stan,

Welcome to the Forum!

If you're looking for ways to improve, I highly recommend the BE method. At face value it just seems to be a series of exercises, but when the exercises are done right they force improvement in a player. Highly worthy of investigation. There's also Caruso which has led to the development of many fine players, not to mention TCE and other embouchure settings.

In general, I think if you struggled with your physical set up before, I don't think it's going to change now. I hear that many players who comeback and struggled before, only develop to the point they were when they put down the horn. I may be overgeneralizing, but that's the way it seems.

Anyway, you should find a way to systematically improve and again, welcome to the forum!
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm doing BE now and am just starting to get some decent tones on RI. RO has been coming along but I'm a little weak as a go down from C. Also on the RI the air is not coming out on center but off to the right side but not the corner. I'm committed but can see that it will take quite awhile.

Stan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: