• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beer improves trumpet playing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Beer improves trumpet playing Reply with quote

Hi all
Like most come back players I sometimes struggle to improve my playing. Some days are great and some days nothing seems to work, no range, no endurance, thick tounge, you all know the feeling. Well, the answer is beer! On those bad days I put the trumpet aside, get a beer from the fridge and find a shady spot in the garden to relax. I dont go near the trumpet for at least 24hrs. When I do pick up again the next day everything is fine. My band mates believe that it is the break from practicing that helps, I am convinced that it is the medicinal and restorative effects of nicely chilled beer! So, Next time you struggle to get your practice happening and nothing works, dont beat yourself up over it. Relax, have a nice cold ale and start again tomorrow, trust me, it works!
Merry Christmas to you all
Laurie
NSW Australia
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laurie,

Great idea on taking a day off.

One question, what does NSW stand for?

Confused in Clarkston?
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
JohnOBriant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New South Wales, I believe.

That said, it is to be reminded that our friends under the legal drinking age not attempt this at home. Or not at home for that matter. While doing so responsibly wouldn't bother me too much, our law enforcement friends might disagree.

Above all things, relax!
archer49d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Family Guy Reply with quote

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Peter is a piano virtuoso only when he's downed a six pack, his virtuosity wears off as the beer did.
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: beer improves trumpet playing Reply with quote

Correct, NSW is New South Wales, A rather large state on the east coast of Australia.
Laurie
Claes-Tilly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.O.L !! Great stuff!!
I know yhat the French trumpetplayers drink a lot of wine ( red ) Is that also good ? How about whiskey?
By the way, whats the similarity between American beer and making love in a canot?...............f***ing close to water

Take care Classe Sweden
TrumpetSquire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, I've found that a beer or two really DOES help my trumpet playing. I definitely play more relaxed, with a freer sound and better range--no joke. Alcohol does lower your blood pressure and relax you, so this really makes perfect sense. One of my best trumpet lessons in college was when I said "Aw, screw it, I'm having a 22-ouncer with lunch!" Had a lesson about 45 minutes later, and my professor kept saying "You really sound good today; see what happens when you PRACTICE?!?" I kept thinking, "yeah, that and a big glass of beer," but I didn't have the heart to tell him. After more than two beers I have to admit that intonation and articuliculation starts to suffer, *hic*

Conversely, I find it nearly impossible to play well if I drink coffee. It's a shame--I love coffee. I refuse to drink coffee until I've done all the playing I intend to do in a day, so usually I don't get to drink my coffeeat all! The caffeine just constricts my blood vessels too much, makes me a little jittery, and completely ruins my ability to breathe easily. Centering of pitches and breath control become next to impossible. I tried to practice Charlier #6 after a big cup of coffee a couple weeks ago, and I nearly through my horn out the second story window!

Anyhow, I've often thought about having a glass of wine with dinner before an evening performance, but I tend to adhere to the "don't drink before a gig" philosophy. Although I have heard that what was in Maynard Ferfuson's glass on stage was usually vodka, not water. I don't play jazz very well, though, and I'm definitely not Maynard Ferguson! Cheers!
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too enjoy a beer or three while I am playing. Too much and the playing goes downhill...no good. After a few beers I am in the zone...(don't need the beer to be in the zone but it helps in relaxation)
A nice glass of a Sicilian Valpolicello Red wine goes great on gigs too. Just something to keep the whistle wet!

On big gigs and high profile gigs I usually have a nice Newcastle or Heineken Special Dark before I play then no more for the rest of the night. Just something to take the edge off...

On the other hand.....sometimes I don't feel like drinking anything (as in the case of this past Saturday night) and I had a few glasses of SPRITE! That night the Sprite was just what I needed....

Disclaimer: I too am not condoning underage drinking, so if you are under 21 then adhere to the soft drinks while you play formula until you learn how to get away with it!....just kidding. Always remember that moderation is essential for a responsible adult and that too much alcohol can effectively ruin your reputation and will not get you call back for the right kinds of gigs..... Think before you drink!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jansu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beer before is a great idea! I often end up going to lunch after school is finished and i'm off to a rehearsal or gig. I often also end up having a glass of beer. I dont think a single beer is anything to worry about. I dont know about anywhere else, but here its completely legal to drive after a single beer, if you're a bigger guy I'm sure you could have two and still be in the green. I wouldnt play if I wasnt comfortable driving!

Obviously, depends on the gig and how comfortable you're on it. If i'm not sure of myself, having a beer is not going to help. It'll just make me more nervous, thinking, "man why did i have to drink at all, stupidstupidstupid!"...
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously, we must discuss the brands/styles benefits in correcting playing difficulties, technical mastery, interpretation....etc.!!

st. pauli girl, die kirche, olympia...all have their respective strong points, &
american beer isn't bad, just different.

indeed, this is a question to put to the pros (players, not drinkers) i fear a looooonnnggg research session awaits some of us.

seriously, i drink little. i've liked every beer i tasted, except bok beer. it's way too sweet for me. i much prefer some brandy.

cheers
dj
Eddie Severn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drink culture here in the UK is unfortunatly different to other countries. Having a "few beers" before a gig can bring a different outcome often making a good player sound more like a total beginner! The list of truly great UK players who ended up sounding like that and dying 20 years early is sadly too long.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Severn wrote:
The drink culture here in the UK is unfortunatly different to other countries. Having a "few beers" before a gig can bring a different outcome often making a good player sound more like a total beginner! The list of truly great UK players who ended up sounding like that and dying 20 years early is sadly too long.

This is sad but true.
Hopefully the culture is changing here, but I have been on a number of gigs where I have watched players drink many pints before going on stage. Sometimes they have played well, other times they have just been terrible.

Personally I stick to a maximum of one beforehand (especially if it is a tricky concert). I am sure I can play after more (and have done in the past), I just don't want to take the risk of making a fool of myself.
Leave the beer until afterwards.
Even then I tend not to have one - I seem to be driving everywhere at the moment.

Actually, at this precise moment I am on both piankillers and antibiotics that say "no alcohol" so I am having a dry Christmas - oh well.
uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although normally I drink frequently, a gig is a good reason not to touch alcohol. It can relax, but it also slows down reactions. I prefer to have the beer afterwards.
Laurie, I thought you're not into drinking? Orwas that only the bundy? Then, which beer do you prefer? in NSW, I assume it's VB, or are you already north enough for a XXXX? Don't assume it is the (insert F-word here).

Uli
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it will do for your trumpet playing, but after a few beers you'll be better looking
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I don't know what it will do for your trumpet playing, but after a few beers you'll be better looking

I always find that everybody else becomes better looking after a few beers, not me
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: beer improves trumpet playing Reply with quote

Uli
I love a beer, its Bundy and other spirits I dont like. For the uninitiated Bundy is short for Bundaberg Rum, brewed in Bundaberg Queensland. xxxx (fourex) is a beer also brewed in Queensland. My favorite beers at the moment Uli are cascade and Boags. Both brewed in Tasmania.
Talking of beer and trumpet playing, I once played in a German style oompah band doing beerfest gigs. Waiting till after the gig for a beer after playing for hours in an aussie summer is a real test of character!!!
BTW, I dont drink before a gig, just dont trust my bladder to last the distance!!!! I once had a couple of beers before a Messiah performance,(Messiah and very hot summer weather coincide here) Big mistake!!!
Cheers
Laurie
uli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: beer improves trumpet playing Reply with quote

laurie wrote:
My favorite beers at the moment Uli are cascade and Boags. Both brewed in Tasmania.

Glad to hear it is not Foster's (ooops, just typed the F-word!!)

Quote:
Waiting till after the gig for a beer after playing for hours in an aussie summer is a real test of character!!!

Hot weather and beer together are killers. In (sub-) tropical environments I usually wait till sunset before touching any alcohol.

Quote:

BTW, I dont drink before a gig, just dont trust my bladder to last the distance!!!! I once had a couple of beers before a Messiah performance,(Messiah and very hot summer weather coincide here) Big mistake!!!

This problem should never be underestimated.

Uli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree that beer before a gig can cause a bladder problem! I think I have a bladder the size of a tennisball. Last night I had a beer before going out (christmas vacations started, partyparty!). I had a reeeeeeeeal long piss before I left home, and I was dying to get to the bathroom by the time I got to my friends house, which was maybe a half hours trip! Imagine what would happen if I dranka few beers, and then went on stage to play an hours set? And I usually have water with me on stage, which all by itself makes me need to go take a leak right after the set is over.
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If drinking beer made you a better player then I'd be Maynard Ferguson right now.

Bob
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: beer improves trumpet playing Reply with quote

Bob, Thats the advantage of beer, if you drink enough of the stuff you can believe that you are Maynard!
Laurie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: