• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching Mutes!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Switching Mutes! Reply with quote

Hi all!
Happy Holidays! I've just had some time at home and wondered how to change mutes fast without the risk of it dropping out while playing? Do you guys have certain techniques? . Where do you place the mutes? On the ground? On your lap.... I had a winter concert and had one bar to change the mute. It was pretty shaky. Thanks for the help!
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trick I learned 25 years ago watching my teacher play l'Histoire is taking the mute and putting it behind your knee and grabbing it with your leg. Works great and you don't risk jabbing your testicles (if you have them) putting it between your legs.

Do this with your left hand to your left knee crook so that you right hand is on the valves.. you can always play a note or two with one hand if necessary.

MA
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching Mutes! Reply with quote

Lo wrote:
Hi all!
Happy Holidays! I've just had some time at home and wondered how to change mutes fast without the risk of it dropping out while playing? Do you guys have certain techniques? . Where do you place the mutes? On the ground? On your lap.... I had a winter concert and had one bar to change the mute. It was pretty shaky. Thanks for the help!

I made a mute stand from a 99 cent orange colored extension cord holder that I bought at Walmart. It required an easy fix at both ends. I attached a clamp that I bought at Home Depot. It holds 4 mutes and clamps directly to a Manhasset type stand. I clamp it at a height that is an easy reach, and I've never missed a change or fumbled a mute since. Part of it is always knowing where each mute is, so grabbing for the right mute becomes a conditioned reflex.

I made a more elaborate one from the same extension cord holder using a drum kit clamp that fits perfectly around my Petersen stand. it goes on and off with a single turn key.

I would be glad to send you pics of the parts with simple instructions.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When holding mutes I use the already mentioned methoed of holding them under the knees, but this doesn't work if big banding - when standing.
It also doesn't help a great deal when making ridicukously quick changes.

Whilst at university I played in their performance of Kurt Weil's Street Scene, which requires a mute change over a beat! We eventually rigged up a series of cushions in the pit, so that the first mute could just be thrown out of the bell and the second one could be inserted into the empty bell. It worked, but it did take some thinking about.
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen an interesting home-made mute holder that attaches to the stand. This is for use while playing, not for storing the mute.

In other words, if you need to play something with straight mute and there is no time, or you need to remove another mute, a player could just move their bell into a position and the mute just fits in at about a 40 degree angle to the floor. No hands. The problem is pulling it out. You must use your hands or the music stand could tumble down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: