• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning with Vinegar.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could order a mpc brush through Giardinelli or Music 123 OR insist that you local store order you one. It's rediculous that they don't normally stock them.

Dave
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. It really made me mad. I went in there, and they only had cleaning kits for laquered instruments...they had to go and dig out the last silverplate cleaning kit out of the back. When I asked about a mouthpiece brush, they said that not many people bought them and they didn't stock them any more. They're seriously turning into a piano, guitar, and drum store than anything else!

One thing I don't like about Iowa...the music stores here suck.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Silver star;
Vinegar Its a little bit acid for the finish of horns; you would not like the afer cleaning odor
I clean horns for some players here in my area, with excellent results and acclaim. My method
uses the following:
Dawn power plus with oxy cleanwith warm water, cheap and removes any scums and oils
Twinkle silver pollish ( the best polishe I have seen in all my life) atsame time you clean the horn you will be pollishing the horn. If the horn its bright silver it will looks mirror like
Simple Green lime scale remover, the best product to clean overall the inside of the hon. removind mildew, and cleaning the brass to its yellow- gold-like color. use Plastic gloves.
Pad Saver Brushes the best of all
I hope you can use it and see my results,a nd save in cleaning at the shop. you would do it best than the shop.
Blessings
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I've got a few questions about cleaning and keeping up an old horn

1. What is redrot, and how do I detect it?
2. My horn is sterling silver finished, not silver plate. Any ideas on how to polish that? (At the moment I have Hagerty's Silver Polish - doesn't do much at all.)
3. The goldwash on the bell is pretty worn - how do I polish that and prevent it from coming all the way off?
4. What else do I need to worry about? This things over 80 years old.

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpeter656 wrote:

2. My horn is sterling silver finished, not silver plate. Any ideas on how to polish that? (At the moment I have Hagerty's Silver Polish - doesn't do much at all.)
3. The goldwash on the bell is pretty worn - how do I polish that and prevent it from coming all the way off?

Sterling silver is a material, not a finish or plating. Sterling means it's silver, through and through, not brass or copper with silver plate on top. Do you see a "S" sterling stamp on it? If you look inside the valve casing and slides is it silver, or brass?

Interestingly, entirely sterling horns were made during war time, when all available brass was going into shell casings. I saw one a few years back and its was HEAVY. It played like Swiss cheese, not particularly vibrant, but it was a good looker.

It's normal for the gold wash to fade with wear. Just touch it as little as possible. The horn will never need "replating" if it is indeed sterling, but if you ever need the valves reconditioned, then you might have the gold wash redone while it's in to some place like Anderson's.

What is the brand? Can you show us any pictures? It sounds interesting.

Oh yeah, you'll never get red rot if it's sterling silver.

Dave
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstep wrote:
Trumpeter656 wrote:

Sterling silver is a material, not a finish or plating. Sterling means it's silver, through and through, not brass or copper with silver plate on top. Do you see a "S" sterling stamp on it? If you look inside the valve casing and slides is it silver, or brass?

Interestingly, entirely sterling horns were made during war time, when all available brass was going into shell casings. I saw one a few years back and its was HEAVY. It played like Swiss cheese, not particularly vibrant, but it was a good looker.

It's normal for the gold wash to fade with wear. Just touch it as little as possible. The horn will never need "replating" if it is indeed sterling, but if you ever need the valves reconditioned, then you might have the gold wash redone while it's in to some place like Anderson's.

What is the brand? Can you show us any pictures? It sounds interesting.

Oh yeah, you'll never get red rot if it's sterling silver.

Dave

Well, this is a bit odd. All valve slides are silver colored all the way through, though the main, extra slide (for key change) and the remainder of the horn seems brass (it's worn in places - so it is some sort of plating). Though I was told by my instructor that the horn wasn't silver plated, but sterling silver (plated?). Perhaps he was mistaken. I am allergic to nickel (and everything nickel I touch turns purple; earings = bad) so it can't be nickel silver or nickel. Maybe it's just the finish that makes it not as shiny as silver plate (though on the front of the bell there's a beautiful engraving and it's not satin there - purposely). Also, there is no "S" marking anywhere - there's only a "C" before the serial number. Though, it may be a horn made during WWI (I can only ballpark the age since the records "were lost."), maybe why some of the slides don't appear brass.
My horn is fairly heavy, but it doesn't play like swiss cheese, though I've never played cheese. he he he. As for the valves - I had them re-lapped by anderson last year; too much money as it is -my parents weren't up to getting the goldwash redone. The horn was only $90 at a pawn shop (I know; bad idea.) But it worked out very well. My horn is restored to a great cond. It doesn't give a big sound, probably due to a small bore and a tiny bell, but it's bright to oblivion.
As for the gold wash - it's worn oddly - in a circle all around the bell, about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch inside the rim; maybe from mute usage back in "the day."

The bell reads within a beautiful flowery engraving:

Cleveland
Musical Instr.
-CO-
Clev,d
O.

sn: C250xx (do you know what C means?)
I first though it meant that it changes to the key of C, but removing the extra slide puts it into B natural, and apparently pulling both slides out puts it in A or Ab (I haven't tried it.)
no 3rd or 1st slide saddles -annoying
old style valve caps
changes key
Mother of Pearl on keys
oooh, and it has a lyre holder - but no lyre.

I'll get pics someday - I've only got the use of a scanner now (believe me, I've tried).

Trumpeter656

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's satin finished silver plate. I had a Conn New Wonder with that finish. I don't really know the old Clevelands, so I don't know if they had a sterling bell, but I do know that anything made of Sterling will have the S-mark on it, whether it's a fork or a trumpet bell. Look closely all over the bell for the mark. It could be down by the entrance to the 1st valve.

I'm anxious to see the pictures. It sounds like an interesting trumpet.

Dave
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definately have to look for the S. Do you have any idea as to why some of the slides are silver, and some are brass?

Trumpeter656

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpeter656 wrote:
Do you have any idea as to why some of the slides are silver, and some are brass?

Nickel was (is) commonly used on some slides, for its strength. You told us earlier that you react with nickel, but perhaps these are at points where you don't hold the horn.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: