• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My new Destino

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: My new Destino Reply with quote

I received my new Destino yesterday afternoon. After playing it for a couple of hours I took it to my Monday night big band gig. This is truly an amazing instrument. I have never played an instrument that locked in yet is so flexible. The intervals seem closer together and moving from one note to the next just happens without any of the nudging sometimes experienced between certain intervals. The sound is rich and full and when I lean on it the entire room resonates. The overtones are so prominent that it sometimes sounds as though that pesky 5th trumpet is taking his part up an octave or two. It certainly works as a lead horn. Today I will be working a lot of legit stuff so I will give my thoughts on that later. BTW Doc sent me serial #24 as he promised me he would if it could be worked out. Apparently the horn was almost sold to another and when Doc heard about it he personally intervened to make sure I got the horn. What a guy!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Glad you have it now and are enjoying it. You are right.....the SOUND and FEEL are the best atributes about it, even though it plays wonderfully in tune. The more you play it, the more you will appreciate it!

Dave Hickman
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
I am happy to hear that you are pleased with your new trumpet. I ordered a Destino, and it should be arriving in late January.

How would you compare the Destino to some of the other great horns that you have had the opportunity to play?
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Perhaps record a demo and give it to us?

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I would love to try a Destino.

Post pics of your new horn!
badiddley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the destino horn is really great. very bright behind the horn but i get the feeling it darkens up out front.

be careful because i understand the bells dent extremely easy. even sticking a mute in the bell can dent the horn.
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Destino Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I received my new Destino yesterday afternoon. After playing it for a couple of hours I took it to my Monday night big band gig. This is truly an amazing instrument. I have never played an instrument that locked in yet is so flexible. The intervals seem closer together and moving from one note to the next just happens without any of the nudging sometimes experienced between certain intervals. The sound is rich and full and when I lean on it the entire room resonates. The overtones are so prominent that it sometimes sounds as though that pesky 5th trumpet is taking his part up an octave or two. It certainly works as a lead horn. Today I will be working a lot of legit stuff so I will give my thoughts on that later. BTW Doc sent me serial #24 as he promised me he would if it could be worked out. Apparently the horn was almost sold to another and when Doc heard about it he personally intervened to make sure I got the horn. What a guy!

How does it compare with some of the other horns you have owned or tried?

Thanks,
Jon
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we should always be careful about denting the bells of our horns, the Destino bell is not softer than other bells. It is lighter in weight, but is harder than normal due to the heat quenchings of the bell during manufacturing.
trumpity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Congrads on the New Horn Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

Congrads on the new horn!! What's the sticker price on these puppies? And how does it compare to your Bach? I'm looking for a new horn and hope they will be at the IAJE to try out. Hope to see you there.

Best,

Kim W Petersen
RNelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Destino Reply with quote

Right on Bill,

Hey man, I heard some clips of you on a web page...nice playing! I look forward to hearing you record on the Destino! It sure is fun to play.

Enjoy...

Ray
www.raynelson.net
Ken V
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new horn!! I have had my Destino for a couple of months now. If you think that you like it now you will love it even more as time goes on. I picked up my old axe the other day and it reaffirmed for me just how good this horn really is in all aspects including sound, intonation, response, etc. The only issue I have is that I still overplay the horn from time to time. When this happens I just back off and play as effortlessly as I can and the horn responds. If you can hear it, you can play it.

One issue that I have had is an occasional sticky valve. Eclipse uses the same valves and it is not unusual for this to happen until the horn is really broken in. I clean the casings and valves quite often and I have had very good luck with Zaja Blue. Good Luck and enjoy!! KV
1965 Bach 37 cornet
1978 YFH631 rose bell
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same (Bauerfiend) valves in my van Laar trumpet and flugel. The tolerance is so little that sometimes the valves can stick a little bit when they warm up. I don't think it has to do with filthy valves.
miles52245

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Congrats on the new horn! I'm looking forward to doing the "thang" with you soon so that I can hear it! Stay off the roads man....sucks out there!

B
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I tried as best I could to get down to Indy to try them.

Seeing as how no one else has asked, what's the relevance or importance
to having #24? Just curious!

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the one of three Bb that we tried out at Indy. I picked #24, but that was the one Doc was playing. I told him to pick one out that played like #24, no matter how long I had to wait. So the guy ends up sending me #24!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B,

I am not going anywhere. Of course the kids can't come for lessons. That's what sucks about being self-employed. I'll be in Iowa City on the 29th. You free?
miles52245

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Day off time for you then! I went out and shovelled for an hour and a half and now I can't tell that I was even out there! Big mistake....reminds me of the day that we did that Xmas show...

You're salsaing the 29th huh? I may be in Minneapolis...waiting to hear from Anthony about that...but if I am, let's do it! Looking forward to hearing that beast!

BTW....have that shovel ready for Cheryl?
miles52245

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B,

How is the new horn treating you? What can you tell us about it?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found all the little "breaks" that I was used to on my Bach. Those places on the horn where you have to goose it a little don't exist on the Destino. Causes me to overshoot the note now and then. The Berger arrangement we play of Buzz At has a nasty shout section up to high F, awkward rhythms, dissonance, too fast(leader's fault), etc.. I usually ghost a few notes to keep it going, but on the Destino everything was right there. The sound is much more flexible than the Bach. I can get a very focus sound that reminds one of a small horn D/Eb, yet I can broaden it to a fat lead sound by just thinking about it.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I have found all the little "breaks" that I was used to on my Bach. Those places on the horn where you have to goose it a little don't exist on the Destino. Causes me to overshoot the note now and then. The Berger arrangement we play of Buzz At has a nasty shout section up to high F, awkward rhythms, dissonance, too fast(leader's fault), etc.. I usually ghost a few notes to keep it going, but on the Destino everything was right there. The sound is much more flexible than the Bach. I can get a very focus sound that reminds one of a small horn D/Eb, yet I can broaden it to a fat lead sound by just thinking about it.

What about the sound? I've heard many times from a lot of great players: "Nothing can beat a good Bach". Does it has the core of a good Bach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: