• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Wonder Pitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: New Wonder Pitch Reply with quote

Hi!

Just bought myself a New Wonder circa 1915.

As I recall, there was a low pitch/high pitch thing going on in those days. There is no LP marking on the horn, but I have to push the tuning slide all the way in to get it in tune. So is it low pitch or is it me??? Also what does a * on the valve casing mean.

Cheers
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low pitch is A440, so the fact that you have to push in all the way to play in tune seems strange. I absolutely don't mean to sound patronizing, but are you adjusting both tuning slides? If the "opera glass" tuning slide in the bell tail is extended, the main tuning slide does have to be in all the way. In fact, I always tune with the vertical slide and leave the other slide all the way in.

I've heard several different stories about the *, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that it simply indicates the horn has the 2 1/2 bore -- .485".
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the alignment of the valves??

I had a similiar problem with my Ambassador cornet. The valves looked like the alignment was ok but not great when the valve was pressed but when the were released they sat way too high. After I had good OEM pads and corks installed in the valves the horn raised in pitch nearly a minor second.

The is a music shop called the Bandroom on eBay that sells trumpet and cornet rebuild kit for $19.95. They may have a rebuild kit for that old Conn. Give them a call. Their store number is (423) 899-1370 M-F 9-5:30.
dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves do clank a bit, so I'll get it down to the repair shop and see if the alignment is an issue. Both tuning slides are all the way, so it's either the alignment, or me just aiming flat with the rather large bore original mouthpiece included with the horn.

Thanks for the ideas.
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,
The * on the casing signifies that it was a custom build from the factory for someone. Conns (and many other horns) typically came with 2 tuning slides for changing between high & low pitch, but I don't believe that there were any markings denoting such. As mentioned above, something else seems amiss in having to push in all of the way to tune. You might also look for air leaks (water key, etc), as I suspect that could take you South on the tuner, as well. Good Luck!

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: