• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ZKT 1600WB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: ZKT 1600WB Reply with quote

Could you tell me something about that horn? The caracteristics and so on... Price maybe?
Thanks
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried them. I've never owned one. I thought it was somewhat comparable to the 72 lightweight model Bach, but not that much like it. It had a darker sound and felt like it had a little tighter blow. Do they come with a 5 inch bell? I didn't have my tape measure with me, but it looked a little bigger than the standard bell which is about 4 7/8 inches. I like big bells though it probably does not make a whole lot of difference. It seemed like something you could use for an everyday horn to me.

Mike
_Kanstul-Krazy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Tha Kanstul 1600 "WB" is a really great horn. It happenes to be my favorite and personal choice. I'd suggest doing some searchs on TH under "Kanstul WB" (or variations of that). There's been many discussions on this Forum about the WB. You'll probably find one negative comment that several players out there have to say about it. For some reason some players have problems with water collecting in the second valve slide. If you do a search you'll see my theory on it (playing and horn rotational position AND over blowing when emptying the water keys). Personally , I've never had any problems with this issue.

As far as the horn goes, it's based on Bach's design of the 72*, BUT Zig Kanstul has added his personal touch and has tweaked the Leadpipe, 3rd slide stop is set-up differently than a Bach's, & Amado water keys. The bell is a one piece Tempered Bell and it's 4 7/8-inches.

I had my WB made with the "Scratch/Brushed" finish and Lacquered. So far, we've sold them in polished silver, scratch/brush silver, scratch/brush gold, & polished brass with lacquer as well. All have looked real nice! We also had one that was custom made with a lightweight copper bell, too.

As far as the sound goes, it has a warm mid-range and then when you raise above the staff it brightens up. I've never played a horn quite like it. IMHO, I feel that it is a "free blowing" horn and is a .460 bore. I made the switch from a Connstellation (.438) and it plays quite different than that. It has added some range and I've been able to have better endurance with it as well. I really appreciate on those times of the last set of the night! BTW - I have it paired up with a Kasntul Modular Mouthpiece. It based on Bach's 3C cup with an "S72" backbore.

I wish I could give you a price, but this Forum isn't about selling and dealing horns, so I have to honor TH with that. Please undersatnd my position. Feel free to email or call us, we'd love to talk with you.

Hope this helps and good luck!
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon, may I show him some pics?

_Kanstul-Krazy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh Chief, you got a knack for coool trumpet pictures!

That brushed GP was the one we sold. It was a "special" order. Beautiful Horn! Oh yeh, played GREAT, too!

Thanks Bro,
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kanstul has a knack for creating cool-picture-worthy horns.

SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 1600WB back in November after having tried it out at the DFW Trumpetfest and after having an adjustment period with it, I have to say that I am glad I bought this horn. Like Kanstul Krazy said, it really does have a nice,warm middle register and the upper register is really bright.
I actually took it to a mini jam session with my dad last weekend and he thought the horn sounded great. When he said that, I knew he was talking about the horn and not me. In any case, I recommend that if the opportunity is to be had to try one, I say go for it. They're terrific horns.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Tom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you are great. I like the pictures.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my 1600WB today in the scratch brush finish. My reactions that follow should be taken with the realization that I have had less than two hours playing time on the horn.

First reactions:

(1) The sound is warm, but not lacking in resonance. It seems like the difference, visually speaking, between "warm air" versus "cold air" coming out of the horn. But it does get bright if you push a bit more air into the horn. It does not take much effort to do this.

(2) Notes are very well-centered. This seems to happen automatically, as though it is harder to "miss" the center of the note on this horn. The notes just seem to lock in "on center" as you play.

(3) The slots may be a bit narrower than I am accustomed to on my Getzen Severinsen, resulting in some "chipping" or "splattering" of notes on my part. (Overshooting or undershooting). The notes may simply "reside" in different places than I am accustomed to on my other horn. I will know more about this as I acclimate myself to its playing characteristics. I'm sure I will adjust to this in a week or so. I would describe it's blowing characteristics as leaning a bit on the "tight" side. There is more resistance than my Severinsen. But it is definitely not stuffy! I can play louder on the WB with less effort than I can on the freer blowing Severinsen.

(4) Interestingly, I have discovered that my number one mouthpiece - the mouthpiece I play that sounds the best on my Severinsen (GR Primal 62 with tight 7272 backbore) - does not "dial in" as well on the 1600WB. But... my backup mouthpiece, a Warburton 8S top with 5* backbore (both opened to a 26 drill) sounds phenomenal on the WB!!! The sound is huge, open, resonant, and flexibility is outstanding! I have a feeling the WB will do better for me with a more open backbore. I am considering getting a GR Primal 62 with the 7671 (more open) backbore.

(5) Fit and finish is very good. The valve compression is excellent (as should be expected) but I have to adjust to the clinging and pinging of the metal valve guides, which are inherently noisier than nylon guides.

I avoided making any comment about range at this time because I was too tired at this time to try to work the upper register to any extent. I will say that the F above high C slotted very nicely and was brilliant and full.

I'm sure I will learn more about the nuances of this horn in the weeks ahead, but from what I've experienced thus far, it's going to be worth the time to be patient with it. More to come perhaps, as I become more familiar with it.

Rich G.

NOTE: I am considering contacting Kanstul regarding getting a round tuning slide if I feel a need to lessen resistance. But I am getting ahead of myself at this point. The crook on the WB tuning slide is very Strad-like or "square". Since Kanstul has offered both round and square tuning slides on other horns they made (The Stamm 92A/B and 94A/B), it would allow me to fine tune the resistance a bit if desired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: