• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach LT180 any suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Bach LT180 any suggestions? Reply with quote

Hello friends
When Iīm playing 1st tp I seem to be more at the soft side.
So Iīm looking for a trumpet that would be brighter to cut through the band. Since I donīt want to run around with two trumpets for several reasons it should be suitable for my soloing, too.
I tried several (Bach Strads, Kanstul Chicago, Callichio,...)
At the end I took a Bach LT180 37* ML for the weekend.
Itīs the complete lightweight one without nickel trim (looks nice). It seem to be bright, but also soft, when you want it. Itīs also easy playing, as expected.
Does anyone have experence with that kind of model?
All the best,
Herbert
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 37 regular, so I know I would like the 37*. I have a 72* though, and from what I recall, it is a little bit more of a general purpose horn than the 37* in that it is not quite so bright sounding. Otherwise, they felt very similar to me. I like the quick response and the nice bright sound you get from a lightweight horn.

Mike
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you play on a 3C mouthpiece. Maybe you should investigate a mouthpiece with the same diameter but a shallower cup that will give you a little more brightness and allow you to cut through more. That would be a cheaper alternative to a new horn.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I notice you play on a 3C mouthpiece. Maybe you should investigate a mouthpiece with the same diameter but a shallower cup that will give you a little more brightness and allow you to cut through more. That would be a cheaper alternative to a new horn.

I would agree...I have found more immediate and drastic differences by adjusting things at the mouthpiece than the horn...and far less costly.
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this would be a good idea but somehow I have problems with shallower mouthpieces than a C Cup.
I tried a lot of these but I all the time had the feeling to loose grip during a longer period of playing.
I only found out, that my embouchure is more of the version with pushing the lips forward into the mpc (Maggio?) and they tend to move out of shallower cups.
During my "carrer" I played various 7C, 5C, 6C and finally 3C, even I all the time tried with shallower with the same unsatisfied result.
Herbert
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding horns I think the Bach 37, light or regular weight are good choices for the playing you describe. I prefer the mellower sound of the 72 but not for lead. Other good choices are the Yamaha 6310Z or the Kanstul ZKT 1500.

If you're not unhappy with your horn otherwise I'd definately consider trying a different mouthpiece. Some manage playing lead on a Bach 3C but many opt for something brighter. If you like the Bach 3C I strongly recommend you try a Reeves 43NM. The 43N rim feels very similar to a 3C and the M cup projects noticeably better with less effort. It's particularly good for people who want more projection but can't function on other shallow pieces like the Schilke A cups .
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puukka wrote:
Well, this would be a good idea but somehow I have problems with shallower mouthpieces than a C Cup.
I tried a lot of these but I all the time had the feeling to loose grip during a longer period of playing.
I only found out, that my embouchure is more of the version with pushing the lips forward into the mpc (Maggio?) and they tend to move out of shallower cups.
During my "carrer" I played various 7C, 5C, 6C and finally 3C, even I all the time tried with shallower with the same unsatisfied result.
Herbert

Well, there are other variables that you can adjust, such as the backbore. Check out http://www.warburton-usa.com and read about their different trumpet backbores. You can take your mouthpiece and get it converted to accept their backbores. While expensive, it's still cheaper than a new horn.

I do know what you mean about not playing shallow cups well. I work best with a medium cup.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hereīs a weird picture, but showing what I mean with pushing my lips forward.
I donīt know why I started to play like that but itīs fine with me, exept the problem with shallow cups.
Herbert

puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, backbore is in that case a good idea. Im sorry to say, in Austria there donīt seem to be a dealer of Reeves, at least they donīt have them on stock but we have a great dealer of Warburton, who has quite a range. (Even I think, that I could get used to the LT180, my account would hate me for that)
Iīm appreciating much your competent help, thanks, great forum!
Herbert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: