• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Artists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Getzen Artists Reply with quote

So I was looking at the Getzen website and I see that Rick Braun plays a Custom 3050S which Getzen says is a good trumpet for a highschool or colloege student and Fred Adams plays a Capri which I thought was more of a student horn. I find that interesting in that a pro sax player would never play a student or intermediate horn. What gives? Are Getzen horns that good that a pro would play one of their non-pro horns?
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
A number of years ago, the late 70's I seem to remember, the trumpet section at the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra used Getzen 300's (that was in the days of messrs Whithead, Trevor Jones etc).
They reckoned they were fine.
all the best
Brian Jones
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes think (in fact more and more I suspect) that it's us amatuers that get all worked up about all the details about what a horn should or shouldn't be able to do, what it looks like, is it too heavy or is it too light?

Pros on the other hand just use whatever gets the job done in the most efficient manner. There's very little wrong with any of the lower end horns from any of the major makers..Getzen included. My favourite jazz cornet player is Warren Vache and he will use whatever is about but mostly I believe he plays on a student Yamaha. Great sound and feel though..that has very little to do with how much you pay.

Good observation Bob.

Regards,

Trevor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: