• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Yamaha student trumpet in Australia!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: New Yamaha student trumpet in Australia! Reply with quote

Hi all,
Check this out:
http://www.ozwinds.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=935
Yamaha has come out with a trumpet to compete with the cheap chinese trumpets that are coming to our shores. I had a play of this thing and it plays really well. Very free blowing warm sound, and workmanship is also first class. It will be interesting to see how long they last though! (those old 1335's are like trucks!) Anyway, for Australia the price is incredibly cheap.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the brushed finish, but my question is, if they were trying to cut cost, wouldn't that add to the cost?

Looks pretty though, and since it's a Yammie, I'm sure it plays nicely (It's no Xeno though, I'm sure of it! Haven't played a horn yet that surpasses my Xeno, but then again, haven't played all that many horns!)
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is also my thought.Wouldn't the brushed finish make it more expensive? Any thoughts anyone?
trumpettyler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matte finish looks more bead-blasted than brushed. Bead-blasting up front may in fact take less labor up front than buffing and polishing to a bright finish. I would think hand-brushed finishes would be more labor-intensive.

I'm really digging that look now. Nice feature for a beginners horn.
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical. I couldn't find it on the net when I used Google, or on the Yamaha site(USA and Australia).

Also, look at the flat brushed finger buttons and straight bracing. Neither of which are characteristically Yamaha. The reverse leadpipe doesn't look anything like the 8335RGS or the Z horns. It doesn't look like there's a water key on the third valve slide. Only the 8335RGS is missing one. And the third valve ring is fixed. All the Yamaha student horns have an adjustable ring....and what's up with that case? Finally, is that a ring on the tuning silde?!?

Let me be the first to say, I don't think this thing is actually a Yamaha. If it is, their marketing for it sucks(can't find any trace of it on the net) and they went WAY outside with their design.
stradman22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad333.... I agree with you, also look at the Yamaha logo on the bell, that looks fake to me, and the styling as well as the case are not like Yamahas. I think it is some Chinese or Indian company, trying to actually get people to buy their crap.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight braces definitely aren't Yamaha. Also, the model number doesn't fit in with their numbering scheme. Another thing, Yamaha student horns have the logo on the receiver and not on the bell.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all the same thoughts as you did! But I can assure you that this instrument is fully endorsed by yamaha australia. The thing that gave it away as a yammie to me was the valves when I played it. They where definately yammie valves. They have also brought out a saxophone with the same look. I also did a search on the net and could not find anything on them. I have got a feeling that they may only be releasing them here for a while at least. Just like the 6335J (james morisson model), which is probably their biggest seller here, but not available in the US.The shop that the link is to (ozwinds) is run by the most honest ,straight forward people you could find.They would certainly not risk any false advertising.As I said, it plays really well. You would not think of it as a chinese trumpet.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it's a Yammie, I played one the other day.
To me it looks like Yamaha is outsourcing their bottom end student horns to China(cost)
It has yamaha on it but I don't think it comes from their factory.
The finish is bead blasted and it looks nice but I felt an old 100S would still play better.
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: