• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question on a Old F.E. Olds Trumpet and Holton Clarke Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wise3028
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Question on a Old F.E. Olds Trumpet and Holton Clarke Cornet Reply with quote

I have an old F.E. Olds horn marked simply as "The Olds". The serial # is 3XXX. The 2nd valve is marked "LM". I think it was made in the early 1930's. Does anyone know anything about these horns. Seems like a nice horn but probably small bore?

2nd Question: I have an old Holton Clarke Model Cornet I'd like to fix up. There are several sets of slides marked as follows:
B HP
C HP
B LP
O LP

I think the B HP is the set I want for Bb. Can someone confirm? I'm under the impression this was a good cornet at one time. Any opinions?

Thanks!
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the newer olds horns have a .460 bore. A LM bore is probably similar, and is a Large medium. a 3xxx serial was early 30's. Look at this bore description http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds30_cmi/olds_cmi_5.htm

HP stands for high pitch. You want the LP slides which stands for low pitch.

Steve
Ebayscrounger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Holton cornet, I think you want the B LP slldes for Bb playing, and I have heard it is a decent horn. Unfortunately, your Olds is not much more than scrap metal, and I would be willing to buy it for around thirty five dollars....No, not really... A four digit "The Olds" is a good horn and very much a collecter's item, but I don't know the bore size on it. Try here for some excellent Olds information:

http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

Still looking for my horn...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: