• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My trumpet mouthpiece receiver seems to be stretched..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetKing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: My trumpet mouthpiece receiver seems to be stretched.. Reply with quote

because I really have to push the mouthpiece solidly into the receiver to keep it from falling out! My horn is circa 1975 King Silver Flair. Is there anything short of replacement that can be done to rectify this problem?
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy an adapter so that the shank of your mouthpiece fits snuggly into the leadpipe. Or, better yet, buy a new horn!
Don Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or, better yet, buy a new horn!

Bah! Poppycock!

Replacing a '75 Silver Flair can't be the best solution to this problem.

Is the insertion-end of your mouthpiece truly round? Have you ever dropped it?

BTW, what mouthpiece are we talking about here?
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the receiver is worn. It can be replaced (and you can have the gap set for your mouthpiece at the same time) relatively cheaply by a qualified repairman. I recommend Charlie Melk.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also go to a Warburton modular mouthpiece system. Their shanks with the designation "B" are made to a slightly larger diameter so as to fit worn receivers and/or provide a slightly greater gap.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaser wrote:
Sounds like the receiver is worn. It can be replaced (and you can have the gap set for your mouthpiece at the same time) relatively cheaply by a qualified repairman. I recommend Charlie Melk.

or you can decide that the horn is cooked, fried and trashed and sell it to me for.... let's see, lobster is going for around $10.00 per lb and it can't be worth more than lobster. Figure 2-3 lbs, how about $25.00????

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Chaser has the answer. Receivers wear out and need replacing. A pretty simple, though precision, operation for a skilled repairman (person? whatever...) Of course, a new receiver may change your gap relative to the old, so be aware of that.

Of course, there's always supportlivejazz's solution. His offer is ridiculously low, of course... I'll give you $27.50, and pay shipping!

Onwards - Don
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll up the offer to three pound and a half lobsters, fresh from Narragansett Bay, shipped to your location. That's my final offer. If you don't take it... then the heck with it. Send it to Charlie Melk and have him fix it. See if I care.

Meanwhile Charlie is a terrific option and he will do fine work at a reasonable price.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."

Last edited by supportlivejazz on Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep the original receiver, you may be able to have Charlie Melk ream it a little and then reset the gap. Charlie is well versed in setting the gap - call him and talk to him about it.

http://www.charliesbrassworks.com/index.php

Steve
TrumpetKing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the generous offers, guys, I can almost taste... Reply with quote

the lobster. I think I'll get the receiver repaired/replaced. BTW, this Silver Flair is my backup horn as the new love of my life is my new Lawler Model-T, so I don't even need to buy a new trumpet.

Thanks for the cards and letters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: