• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why people don't post here?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I had not read that thread. Fixed now, and your quotes. For the record, it is much better to PM the Moderators than keep dragging it up over and over again in public.

The fact is, like it or not, even with a good group of mods, with so many posts it is impractical (perhaps in-human) to expect that every post, particularly when taken out of context (not saying yours was, a general observation), is going be treated exactly the same. We try to follow the UA as closely as possible, and keep with Todd's general "hand's off" policy to keep from being (too) over bearing. The nature of the beast is such that some threads will have more latitude than others, based on evaluation by your moderator team. We're human, after all. As I would hope everyone knows, we have stated over and over that R/P and Reveille, and to some extent the Lounge, get a little more latitude than the other forums.

Now, I must toddle off -- better things to do than wade through old posts editing out bad words, especially when I can't make the participants wash out their mouths with soap. I respectfully suggest you move on as well; continually dredging up such is not particularly productive for anyone. In the meantime, I need to see my kids, and practice a bit this evening yet. The time spent on this sort of thing is a good argument against opening R/P again, at least for me.

Hopefully I'm done with this. - Don
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
OK, I had not read that thread. Fixed now, and your quotes. For the record, it is much better to PM the Moderators than keep dragging it up over and over again in public.

Excellent. Thanks for your work here, Don.

For everyone else, let this be instructive on what the Moderators feel is acceptable speech here in this forum. As Don said in his post:

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
We try to follow the UA as closely as possible, and keep with Todd's general "hand's off" policy to keep from being (too) over bearing. The nature of the beast is such that some threads will have more latitude than others, based on evaluation by your moderator team........we have stated over and over that R/P and Reveille, and to some extent the Lounge, get a little more latitude than the other forums.

So, what kind of Latitude is given in these forums? When faced with a clearly unacceptable post such as:

"Since you are incapable of taking a subtle hint Trumpet356, Ill spell it out for your pea brain in graphic terms. Youre a worthless moron Trumpet356. Drop it and [go somewhere with a very high temperature]."

The mods will go to great efforts to "fix it" for the students and parents who visit our site by now having it say:

"Since you are incapable of taking a subtle hint Trumpet356, Ill spell it out for your pea brain in graphic terms. Youre a worthless moron Trumpet356. Drop it and -."

Hence, now two Moderators (the one initially moving the thread to Reveille, the second who pored over the offending statement) feel that phrases like "youre a worthless moron" and "Ill spell it out for your pea brain" are acceptable discourse in the above-mentioned forums. (Whew! I thought I was over the line in the past calling a poster an "idiot". What a relief!)

Honestly, guys - I'm sure most of us can keep it within these boundaries, can't we? Let's open R&P up again!

Don. Thanks for your help in understanding the nuances and gray areas of the Usage Agreement. Very instructive.

(***Edited by the Mods to remove reference to a very hot place where Hugo Chavez might claim George Bush resides)

Last edited by trumpet356 on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I give up.
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished.
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 wrote:
You're right - we make Miles go off on his little rants (above) all the time. Internet ventriloquists.

Sure, you neverprovoke people. Even if you did, it certainly wouldn't be intentional, right?

trumpet356 wrote:
(Just showing why you wouldn't quite be the answer to the R&P Moderation issue - very skewed perspective. But thanks for offering!)

Skewed perspective? Hardly. I don't expect I will be asked to moderate any future incarnation of the R/P forum, but if I were posts like those you quoted by MilesD would result in removal of the thread to Reveille.

I don't play favourites, I'm just observant of who the most frequenttrouble makers are.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool subscribe feature TM put on their r\p forum...
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and other moderators:

I appreciate your efforts and decision that so much time settling petty bickering does not justify having an r/p forum.

Thanks for your hard work!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: