• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To relacquer or not to relacquer, that is the question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topo3man
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: To relacquer or not to relacquer, that is the question Reply with quote

I have read many threads where collectors of vintage instruments state that they would not relacquer/restore a vintage horn. What is your opinion? Certainly lacquer can effect the sound of a horn but wouldn't a vintage instrument sound closer to its original sound if it is (professionally and competently) relacquered rather than left alone? Wouldn't a professionally restored horn give more joy when playing?
1939 Conn Cornet
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with relacquaring a horn is not the lacquar it is the buffing done to remove the scratches prior to finishing. This buffing process can remove alot of metal and really brightem up the sound or as has happened to me a careless technician can buff through the brass leaving you wuth this wonderful brass patch on the horn.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: To relacquer or not to relacquer, that is the question Reply with quote

topo3man wrote:
I have read many threads where collectors of vintage instruments state that they would not relacquer/restore a vintage horn.

. . . Wouldn't a professionally restored horn give more joy when playing?

Hi,

The owner of a vintage horn has every right to do whatever they want with their horn! Please feel free to leave it as is . . . or return it to an object of beauty again.

I've never liked lacquered horns because the lacquer has never agreed with my skin's chemistry. To me nothing looks as ugly as a "spotted" lacquered horn.

IF IT WAS MINE . . . and I wanted it to look good . . . I'd silverplate it, and possibly even goldplate it too!

The problem, whether lacquering or plating, DOES lie in the care exercised by the guy/gal on the buffing wheel . . . especially when relacquering since the metal must be buffed to a bright, reflective surface.

A top-notch restoration shop WILL understand what you are trying to accomplish and they can very meticulously polish while avoiding "melting" the sharp original engraving! Nothing looks worse, resale-wise, than faded, "melted" engraving.

As a matter of fact, a top-notch shop may even disassemble each part of the tubing and polish each part separately so the ferrules don't get overbuffed too.

THE WORST THING TO ASK . . .

"What's your price to re-do my horn?"

There are tons of people needing/desiring a budget refinish job on a student horn to make it look better for little Johnny to use in middle school. Shops perform this important task too . . . but THIS IS NOT FOR YOU!

If a vintage horn is worthy of refinishing, get someone who is a noted expert in this field to do the prep work before the horn is shipped off to Anderson's or Kanstul (or whereever) to be lacquered or plated.

AGAIN . . . don't feel "guilty" trying to please others. It is YOUR horn and you deserve to have it look great if that's what you want.

Good luck!

Tom Turner
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topo3Man,

While I don't disagree with Mr. Turner, I think I would come at the problem from a slightly different direction. What is the goal you have for your horn? If it's to play, you might make different decisions than if your goal is to sell it on E-bay some day.

Cheers,

Tom
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topo3man -

You decide. Here are the before and after shots of my 1954 Olds Recording cornet. Was I wise to have it cleaned up and relacquered?
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: